Doozy

By pained - 02/05/2014 00:23 - United States

Today, I had an ingrown toenail cut out, and the pain medication I received doesn't actually help with the pain. Instead, it makes me high, which results in me losing my balance and slamming my injured toe into objects, and then getting sick from that new pain. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 346
You deserved it 4 726

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sounds like the kind of situation that would keep you on your toes.

What medication are you taking? it sounds like it is not having the desired effect. Call your doc.

Comments

you should definitely call your doctor and get your medicine switched. It's doing more harm than help.

Definitely get in touch with your doctor to see about adjusting your medication. In the meantime, perhaps you could try halving (or even quartering) your dose? You may find that you are able to get some pain relief (since presumably, you'll be able to rest your toe and not subject it to further trauma if you aren't "high") with fewer side effects that way. Just be sure to read the prescription label before you cut the pills, since some prescription pain medication cannot be safely ingested after being crushed or cut.

Are you sure you were taking the medication exactly as directed and it still gave that reaction? Reading all labels and warnings, and asking about drug interactions? Obviously you're probably out of it right now, either from pain or meds, but if you have to ask someone else to help you, there are websites where you can put in your medications and dosages and it will report any interactions, with how rare it is and other information. I'd want to get as much information as possible to use when calling the doc to request a different medication, and knowing why you reacted this way would be useful in the future.

YDI for needing the medication in the first place. Wait until you have to take the bloody bandage off. That's when the pain comes.

"YDI for being in pain" wtf is wrong with you? Everyone responds to pain differently, and you have no idea how deeply ingrown the nail was or how invasive the surgery was.

You're kind of a dick, just saying. (#30)

I know how you feel, OP. I had an ingrown toenail and after the surgery, it just grew right back to be an ingrown toenail

I've had this done a couple of times. For me, I never had pain after. Just get home and try not to walk like at all. Get your stuff ready before lying down on the couch and remember to keep your foot up.

sometimes eating lessens that effect. a good base is always the key.

martin8337 35