Don't mess with Texas

By Anonymous - 17/10/2013 21:36 - United States - College Station

Today, my boss gave me a verbal warning. My crime? Calling people "Hon'", "Darlin'", and the like. I work at a Texas diner. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 046
You deserved it 5 942

Same thing different taste

Top comments

JMichael 25

I must be weird cuz I enjoy when people do that.

Comments

I hate when people call me "Hun" and I would hate it even more if they called me "Darlin." I'm also from Texas. YDI.

sassypants93 17

I do the same thing, but with the residents of the retirement home I work at. I'd be really annoyed if I got in trouble for that.

The first thing we learned in nursing school is that using those terms are demeaning and disrespectful to elderly patients.

Just a question op, are you from Texas? I have never visited that fine state, but I might suggest that if you are not a local then calling people, "Hun" and "darling," May sound to the customer like your saying "hey white trash, I'm speaking to you like they do in the movies, do you like my condescending tone of voice while I do so?" If you are a local then sorry , if not then *shrug* :)

As long as you're a woman... Creepy middle aged men calling me "hon" would bother me.

I know #154. It never bothers women to be called "hon", "darling" or "Pussy-doll" by creepy, middle aged men, that is for sure.

Would you rather have male waiters call their customers "bro"?

I'd prefer being called that at any diner, makes the environment friendly and very casual.

TheFantasticMuse 8

In today's modern world (and Texas is part of that modern world), calling people "hon" and "darlin" is far from the professionally accepted "ma'am" and "sir". I don't see how this is an FML.

Where I live it's still common for women (over 35, anyway) to say "dear" or "darling" to their customers. It's just to be friendly, but a few ago some guy from elsewhere wrote to the local paper making a big stink about it. People think everything is sexual these days. :(

I wouldn't have reported it, but I don't like being called by any term of endearment like hun or darling or dearie. My closest friends don't get to call me that, there's no way a stranger should.

I have a coworker who refers to me as "my dear" and our boss pulled me aside to ask if that made me uncomfortable. Since I refer to said coworker the same way, I'm not too bothered. Technically, my boss said I could consider that sexual harassment and grounds for his termination.

I spent my first 24 years of life in Texas and have always called people hon, babe, darlin', etc. I live in KY now where it's hit or miss. Everyone that knows me just gets used to it. Everyone's different, but that is a huge southern hospitality thing. At least your not going around blessing people's hearts.