Doggy bag

By DumbFish - 05/04/2017 22:00

Today, I got up the courage to go to a nice place for lunch alone. I wasn't expecting the Tilapia I ordered to be the whole fish, so I asked the waiter for a box because, "I forgot about an appointment in 20 minutes," just so he wouldn't think I was an idiot who didn't know what I was ordering. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 811
You deserved it 999

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Instead you're the idiot who forgets about appointments. :D

You're not an idiot, you got something you didn't expect and panicked. I'm assuming by'whole fish' you mean head, scales and all and I'll tell you that I eat tilapia frequently both at home and at restaurants and I've never been served anything other than fillets. It wouldn't even occur to me to check the description.

Comments

Instead you're the idiot who forgets about appointments. :D

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Eashy 16

I don't quite get it, how would eating it at the restaurant make you look like an idiot? If it is because it was way too big then you would still look like an idiot because it's not like the fish gets smaller just because you have an appointment before you eat it..

Brightbulb 39

I have social anxiety (everyone is forever wanting to pet the adventurous cat) ? so what I do when a meal is much larger then I expect, I laugh and say that I need a box because I didn't realize they were so generous in portions and it will be just as good a second time. They are very used to it OP, I once worked in a restaurant with large meals and some we even brought the box with automatically as it was so incredibly large.

You're not an idiot, you got something you didn't expect and panicked. I'm assuming by'whole fish' you mean head, scales and all and I'll tell you that I eat tilapia frequently both at home and at restaurants and I've never been served anything other than fillets. It wouldn't even occur to me to check the description.

Is it unusual for people to bring home leftovers in your country? Because in America we ask for boxes for our leftovers alllllllllll thhhhhhheeeeeee tiiiiiiiiiiiime. Heck, we even have a colloquialism for it: bringing home a doggy bag. (You know, as in a treat for your doggy.)

Can confirm. I have big eyes and a small stomach and almost always have to take some leftovers home.

CassyM 6

I like fillets too usually. The whole fish thing would gross me out. Once in a while they serve me the fillet with the skin still on the backside and it makes me not enjoy it so much as I dont want to eat it. One time a waitress offered to take it back and have them remove it as she saw me struggling and I said it was alright as it was my issue for being weird. I know it isnt unusual to be served that way. Not sure the cooks would have done a better job than my butchering.