DMV blues

By usadisvet - 02/04/2015 06:43 - United States - Loudon

Today, at the DMV, I was told I had to prove, with a doctor's note, that I was an amputee and that my disability was permanent to get my placard. Apparently, placing my prosthetic leg on the counter wasn't proof enough, and is considered "threatening". The police were called. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 261
You deserved it 2 634

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Even if there's a policy, an employee should be given the authority to accept such cases without abiding by the policy.

Comments

YDI they need it for documentation purposes.

nitrog100 21

Honestly...the policy makes sense when it's for conditions that aren't apparent, but does your doctor really need to assure the DMV that your missing limb isn't going to grow back?

Sorry man, but just because you're an amputee doesn't mean you can bend the rules. They need a paper trail.

It's interesting how most of the commentators are assuming that the DMV was rude or otherwise offensive. OP never said anything about how they informed him he needed a note. He also never said anything about how he reacted only that he put the prosthetic on the counter. For all we know the DMV was being super reasonable and polite and OP was the one being an asshole and making threats. I've worked with a lot of disabled people who think their disability gives them the right to treat people like shit.

this is why I hate Government and everything to do with it.

drunk_crow 12

I feel like this FML doesn't say what really happened.

I know that feel I'm a right leg below the knee amputee and it is astounding how rude people can be about it.

Thank you for your service and protecting our beautiful country!

Had the same thing happen to me and my family at a holiday resort. Could you provide proof that your daughters disabled? hmm the fact that she's in a wheelchair and when she does walk she's stooped over like an old lady meant nothing. Really bad thing was that disabled where to get in free, but because we didn't have a bit of paper saying I was disabled. Had to pay £218 for me. kinda put a dampner on the holiday.