Date night

By feminist - 17/06/2009 15:25 - Canada

Today, I got into a heated argument at a restaurant with a guy I am seeing because he refused to let me pay for the bill and I thought it was sexist. When he finally agreed, I gave the waiter my card, only to have him return a minute later telling me it was declined. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 248
You deserved it 77 660

Same thing different taste

Top comments

organismal 0

girl, it's just polite, classy, traditional. get over yourself it's nothing to get in a heated argument about, either. come on, if you offer to pay half and he declines, accept graciously. it makes you seem like less of a bitch.

britches 0

Wow...there's really no need to get into a heated argument about it.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Cittenscollar 0

You fail at detecting sarcasm.

wth? how is that at all sexist? he was just being polite. i suppose you'd have been equally as pissed if he just expected you to pay for it..

alex_vik 0

******* feminists. You all need to go die in a hole. Every time a guy tries to be courteous to you, it's always "WAAH HE'S SEXIST HE'S HOLDING THE DOOR OPEN/TRYING TO PAY FOR ME/JUST BEING AN OVERALL NICE GUY WAAH". YDI for sure.

i agree! the world doesnt need these f***ing feminists!

Feminists aren't all like that. I think feminists just want girls to be equal to men because so many men still believe they're better. My father and my older brother are like that. Hmph.

oh screw you delilah no men are seriously like that. they are just joking. if they are serious, then its not so much as to think the have 10x as much power. **** feminazis they should all catch their butch faces on fire.

alex_vik 0

Well, OP's name is "feminist", so that's why I said "feminist".

lmmmr 0

Umm, no, that is not feminism. Read a dictionary.

xirrashunal 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
jnic 0

You have great points in theory. However in real life the door holding thing doesn't apply in most cases. I see people of all ages, genders, etc holding doors open for other people... and what are you going to do if someone opens the door in front of you? Just stand there defiantly? I think it's awkward and more trouble than it's worth, and you really don't know if their motives include just being polite or being ridiculously old-fashioned and only holding the door because you're a woman. If you were in a group of people including men and someone made a point of only holding the door open for YOU and the other women, then I might turn them down, because then it's painfully obvious.

fxdxhk90 0

Completely your fault. Woman always do this. If a man doesn't pay, he's a cheapskate, if he does pay he's a sexist. Feminism is ok, but your an idiot.

Wow, you're one of those feminazis, aren't you? Believe it or not, when guys pay, it's not a form of oppression. It's just being courteous. No sexism involved. Frankly, you were the sexist one there. Displaying a distrust for the male gender while searching for "equal" status where the female had the final say and had to fill the man's stereotypical role instead of letting a guy who is interested in you be courteous.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if this post ended with: "Then he refused to pay for me since I had made such a stink about it. He paid for his meal and waited in the car."

It's not sexist, it's NICE. Females like you are the reason there are so few gentlemen left these days...

Yulia_fml 0

I honestly think it was selfish of you to argue. If you want to prove that women can pay just as well as men can, you could split the bill halfway - that's true equality. You were just arguing for the upper hand. Men happen to like impressing women by showing their financial stability. You probably didn't think about his desires, did you? You just selfishly argued to pay the entire thing.