Culture wars

By FrustratedTutor - 21/08/2015 20:00 - United States - Andover

Today, the kid I was tutoring told me that, "Pirates were a myth. Like the Greeks and Romans." He's 16. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 815
You deserved it 2 825

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

you didn't know that?? whats next? you're gonna say that the loch Ness is a myth?! Some people these days.

a real life chris griffin! perhaps you have a time machine to show him they existed, OP?

lilybadilly25 15

Quick, everybody! To the DeLorean! Forget about the space-time continuum, let's go meet us some Greeks and Romans!

What I want to know is: what have they been teaching him in school? Assuming he has actually been going to school…

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.

I'm guessing this is the same kid who wrote the panicked email about Stalin and the moon landing.

Time to cut the losses with this one. Make him walk the plank.

vincifer 4

you need to look up the definition of myth....

He probably also thinks Al Queda did 9/11

"Pirates are a myth? Brilliant! I can go ride my paddleboat around the Somalian coastline now!"

I've found from tutoring that it never pays to conclude that someone's a dumbass. Ask more questions. What does he mean? Where did he get that idea? How would that work? Why would people make them up? Etc. Remember, that in fact there ARE many mythological pirates, from Captain Hook to the Dread Pirate Roberts. Did he misspeak? Was his reference to the Greeks and Romans simply a matter of them being the only people he's heard of that do have a mythology?