Congratulations

By anon - 28/07/2015 05:02 - United States - Northbrook

Today, my step-sister told me that she was getting married to her girlfriend next summer. At a big family brunch, I made a toast to their marriage. I didn't know that my step-mom didn't know they were dating in the first place, or that she was severely homophobic. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 409
You deserved it 4 819

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well, somehow she would have known. Rather now, than crashing the wedding.

Well, hopefully they are happy, even without family consensus. It was still a sweet thing to do, even with that kind of backlash.

Comments

Well, somehow she would have known. Rather now, than crashing the wedding.

incoherentrmblr 21

Just wait until Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson show up...

That's definitely not your fault. I hope you know that.

Yeah, OP doesn't deserve so many down-votes. He/or she was just trying to be nice

it is her fault.... it is her stepmom and stepsister. How can she not know that stuff?! i think ur very disconnected with ur dad and his family (and therefore urs) if u dont know stuff like that

meli1195 31

maybe OP was already out of the house when their dad married the stepmom and that's why they don't know her that well

#106 I don't know about you but homosexuality doesn't come up in conversation in my household much

Well, hopefully they are happy, even without family consensus. It was still a sweet thing to do, even with that kind of backlash.

tantanpanda 26

Usually, with time, most parents come around. Hopefully OP's mom will be more accepting of her own daughter in the near future.

It was HIS step-sister and step-mom, so we can assume they are mother and daughter.

tantanpanda 26

Well, I guess if it was your case, OP would have said mother in law, so I'm wrong here. Thanks for sticking up for me though.

Well, she was going to find out sooner or later. It sucks you had to be the one to let it slip though.

exoticDeath 20

Not your fault she didn't mention the family doesn't know. How are you suppose to know that? FYL OP.

Good luck!, I hope it doesn't get too bad.

It's ok OP. Some people just aren't as open minded. But maybe it's better that she knows now.

TheNiceOne 20

She didn't tell you to keep it in the dl? Not your fault.

EcoAirWarrior 7

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I'm not being mean or judgmental, just nosy- what do you mean by moral grounds? The only objections I've heard are religious ones, I'm just curious if there are others. Just genuinely trying to understand the other point of view. :)

what moral grounds? homosexuality exists. It is a sexual orientation. It does not matter if you disagree with it (although what there is to disagree with I am not sure) because it exists. that's like saying you disagree with shovels. It makes no sense. By the way, when you talk about 'disagreeing with homosexuality' that is telling an entire group of people you don't tolerate them because of YOUR ideas about how they should be. That is homophobic.

if you disagree with homosexuality that makes you homophobic... you cant have your cake and eat it too, either you disagree with homosexuality and acknowledge that your homophobic or you believe in equality for same sex couples and make an effort to not be homophobic. Honestly half the time i dont give a flying **** if someone holds a shitty belief but it makes me ******* pissed when people will claim a belief then go back on it and pull some random excuse out of their ass cause they dont want backlash! "Black people just aren't as smart as white people but I'm not racist it's just my opinion uwu~" This is what you sound like... If you don't want backlash for your opinion just don't post it in the first place!

I, too, am interested to hear your "moral grounds" reasons. Please, explain why it is wrong for two consenting individuals to marry and don't use any tired religious tropes or slippery slope fallacies.

#11 There are no moral grounds for disagreeing with a naturally occurring sexual orientation. It makes about as much sense as taking a moral stance against left-handedness.

This is the most polite we've ever been to a self-professed homophobe.

11- I damn well hope it 'still takes place'. If they want to get married, nobody else and their bigoted opinions should stop them.

Side note: if you have to use the words 'I am not homophobic', it's a good sign that you are, in fact, homophobic.