Congratulations

By anon - 28/07/2015 05:02 - United States - Northbrook

Today, my step-sister told me that she was getting married to her girlfriend next summer. At a big family brunch, I made a toast to their marriage. I didn't know that my step-mom didn't know they were dating in the first place, or that she was severely homophobic. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 409
You deserved it 4 819

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well, somehow she would have known. Rather now, than crashing the wedding.

Well, hopefully they are happy, even without family consensus. It was still a sweet thing to do, even with that kind of backlash.

Comments

tiredofwaiting 25

She would have found out sooner or later.

Does your stepmom hate homosexuals, like Westboro Baptists? Or does she simply hate homosexual actions? If she hates homosexual actions, then she just has a good moral compass in that matter. Hating immoral actions doesn't make you a homophobe.

Unless your step-mom hates the sinner as well as the sin, she's not a homophobe, she's just someone with good morals in that matter.

She better be thrilled that her daughter found love. You don't have to feel bad about it.

If your stepsister never told you to keep that info to yourself, or at least not share it with her mom, you did nothing wrong. In fact it was very sweet!

EcoAirWarrior 7

Good thing you got your shitty stepmom mad. Infuriate her every chance you get!

corky1992 33

that's not your fault. your step sister should have told you about her mom when she told you about getting married.

Look at it this way. Because your stepsister hadn't come out to her homophobic mother, probably to avoid the potential confrontation, you've done her a favour by mentioning it in an innocent, joyous, family-based situation where those consequences are far less likely to become nasty.

There are people who have used situations like this to come out while having someone else to blame for the family drama that it caused.

TallMist 32

Um, it'd be TOTALLY the fault of the person that makes the scene. "Oh, by the way, I'm gay" being said at a family event is NOT a scene causer unless the person you're telling it to makes a scene out of it. It's not doing it to take the blame off of them. It's doing it to keep them calmer during the event. Because if they go crazy there, they'd go crazy about it in private too. At least there, if they make a scene, they can't lie and say they didn't make a scene because everyone saw. Maybe the person coming out at the family event just wanted to come out to everyone at once and THAT'S their reason and didn't even have any intent to use the event to keep a person calm when they did come out. Maybe some do it to cause a scene, but the majority are just to keep it calm or to take advantage of the convenience of having everyone there.