Cocky

By Jeanna - 15/03/2016 23:14 - United States - Baskett

Today, I went into a store for an interview. I've had several places wanting to talk to me and this job was a lot lower paying. I got a little cocky and when offered the job, I said I wanted some time to finish my other interviews first and see what my options were. The manager then took back his offer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 7 723
You deserved it 27 655

Same thing different taste

Top comments

When being interviewed, don't mention other places. Just say "can I take some time to think about it?" Otherwise shit like this happens. You definitely deserve this one for trying to be a big shot

There's a difference between confidence and cockiness, and no matter how confident you are about getting a job, you should never be arrogant in an interview. But on the bright side this can be a humbling experience! Better luck with those other jobs...

Comments

Sometimes cockiness works, many people (often women in particular) have difficulty asking for pay raises and the like because there's too much pressure to be meek and humble. Obviously here you over-did it but I'm not going to tell you off for believing in your own potential!

Was the "women in particular" really necessary here?

Actually yes it was #28. Women are under far more pressure to just take the shit that gets shoved down their throats than men. If a man gets cocky, people laugh. If a woman gets cocky, she could end up fired, beaten, raped, murdered, etc...

ep1186 7

I don't know why this comment got down voted. There have been several studies that say due to social mores that view women who display more "masculine" traits like aggressiveness and confidence as undesirable, women are expected and taught to be meek and accommodating (in general). This attitude then bleeds over into the workplace and results in women being less likely than men to negotiate for pay, raises, and promotions as well as willing to put up with behaviors and situations that their male counterparts would not. In this situation I think people took this comment out of context.

I don't really see where cockiness will help, though. Confidence, of course, but cockiness? That seems like it would hurt your chances, but I also don't have the experience to tell that.

Absolutely. And confidence and cockiness can look pretty similar. Not sure why people can’t handle this comment either. I guess cause feminist thought is so very triggering to most lol

This is why you shouldn't get cocky. You end up screwing everything up

Your response was completely appropriate, that manager on the other was unprofessional!!! Screw that job, you don't want it anyways!!!!

That's not being unprofessional. OP obviously didn't want the job and the manager saw that. I would have done the same thing

Actually OP was unprofessional in how they handled it. The manager was within his rights to rescind the offer when OP demonstrated that they felt they were above the job. Unless the interviewer directly asks, it's unprofessional to tell them you are considering other employment. The professional thing to say, as others have pointed out, is that you need some time to think it over. I'm not sure when you were last in the job market, if ever, but no employer is going to hire someone who clearly does not actually want the job.

I am actually a job placement advisor, and there are times when we recommend to our potential employees that they handle the situation as OP did. (But I'm not going to argue with FML commenters, so I'll leave it at that!)

Wow. You sound like you do a horrible job. You are teaching people to burn bridges before they've walked over them. OP was just wasting both of their time because she already decided the job was below her desired pay. If someone is looking for an employee, each candidate should be ready to go to work asap. Saying what she said was highly inappropriate. Please get a different job as you aren't advising people to do the correct things to move forward in life. You commenting that you aren't going to argue with commenters just tells me that you know that you are wrong and you know it.

Yeah, you definitely deserve it. Cockniness is never an attractive trait no matter which situation you're in.

TMO2142 25

one word.. no two words... "bad boys" i think thats what they call it

So the manager of the lower paying job took away the offer, so what? You said you had SEVERAL places wanting to talk to you, meaning several more interviews and managers. Just don't be cocky with those. I didn't read it as the shitty paying job being a guaranteed thing, only an offer.

With your attitude, I'm guessing there's a good chance you'll blow the other opportunities also... Well played...

Not your best idea but you should be fine. Sometimes it can be better to accept the offer and renege on it later on.

Yeah, YDI. Never mention other job offers in an interview, let alone the fact that that place is your backup. If you can't accept right there, just say you need time to think about it or ask if you can give them an answer tomorrow/next week.

Yep, YDI. I hope it made you rethink how to react toward a job not paying as much as you'd like or what you think you deserve. The bright side is you didn't waste that manager's time with accepting the job only to quit immediately if you got a higher job offer.