Close call

By MC - 14/05/2009 14:11 - Canada

Today, while working at a children's day camp, one of the kids who is allergic to peanuts went into anaphylactic shock. I ran and grabbed the boy's Epipen. I was holding it backwards so the injection went into my hand, causing me to pass out, and both of us to be rushed to hospital. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 629
You deserved it 56 827

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kellster 2

Not panicking is a good thing. Also, paying attention during the first aid training. And it's "epi pen", for the record.

Too bad you can't spell anything else....

Comments

YDI for working at a crappy camp that they don't train you about using Epipens. Not Eppe. Epi. As in Epinephrine. Fail. Also, fail for not realizing that the end with the hole is where the needle comes out. Actually, not as much, since there's also a hole on the end with the grey cap, after you remove the grey cap. Fail for holding it the wrong way. If you didn't know what end to use, why would you hold it in such a way that it could go into your hand. @48, Not entirely true. It's not great for your system, but it won't kill you. Chances are, if you accidentally epipen yourself, you won't leave it in long enough for all of the medicine to administered.

That is not safe at all... You're supposed to take care of the kids, next time try to learn to use it before you really need to!

wowfmlife 0

Wow, you are not fit for watching children. I'm 15 and know that first of all, its epi pen, and secondly I know how to deliver it. Poor kid, FHL

a_tierney_91 0

I also work at a day camp and I don't know what kind of camp you work at but at most camps (including the one I work at), standard first aid and cpr completion is a requirement to be hired. YDI for being so irresponsible.

haha thats so funny, a kid dying from a harmless peanut

how the hell do you get an epi pen backwards? it's spring loaded with a hole on ONE side! if you press the back end of the pen against the kid instead of the front end, NOTHING HAPPENS I call bullshit

Whoever is saying the OP is stupid... you guys are the stupid ones! And this isn't fake, it can easily happen. It doesn't make the OP a loser/moron/idiot... I'm sure you would be scared trying to save someone elses life if you were in that position. It was an honest mistake and OP, I agree FYL. I hope you and the kid are okay!

wow and its funny how everyone is attacking the OP for misspelling epipen, some of us are more fit and don't have stupid allegeries

Namaste_fml 2

It's an epi pen, and don't they have instructions like right on them? I know that there are instructions either on the pen or on the box, and from how they look, it should be pretty easy to tell, even if you've never used one. But if you're gonna work a children's day camp, you REALLY should have some first aid training, and if you're unaware of how to use something, or do something right, such as use an epi pen or perform CPR, you should let someone else do it, if you're at a children's day camp I know there must be other people around, and while you may want to be the hero and save the day, unless you know what you're doing, get someone else to do it who DOES. It's lucky you're the one who got hurt, and you didn't some how use the epi pen wrong on the kid and end up injuring them. Though, I'm not sure how you could with an epi pen, but if it'd be something like CPR or the heimlich maneuver you attempted without knowing what you were doing, you could've really hurt the kid... Get some first aid training, because after that episode, I highly doubt any kid is safe with you until you do get some good first aid training. I went with you deserve it on this one, because I can see you jumping into this and rushing to be the hero, without remaining calm and realizing it's not safe because you don't know what you're doing.

FML part is, you lose ur job (possibly) YDI part is its ur fault for holding it wrong :P