Clever boy

By NewlyChildaphobic - 17/11/2009 14:50 - Ireland

Today, I was minding a 6-year old boy. He begged me to take him somewhere. I rang his mum, and she said I could. He picked to go to McDonald's. He ordered chicken. After his meal, he told me he was vegetarian, and wanted to try some meat while his mum wasn't around. I got the blame. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 197
You deserved it 4 391

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Did his mom *choose* for him to be veggie? In that case, good on you for showing him the amazingness that is chicken, even if it IS from McDonalds. Make him a bacon sandwich next time you have to babysit the ******.

Bob31_fml 4

gotta love the "vegetarian by force" approach. Clearly the kid isn't doing it by choice.

Comments

Totally not your fault. Parents should always tell the babysitters if a child is unable to eat something, either due to a parent's decision or health issues. And to everyone like "oh I hate it when parents force their opinions on their kids" - seriously, shut up. Parents are allowed to, whether it's regarding dietary issues, religion, whatever. If what the parent is doing is HARMING the child then that's wrong, but there's nothing harmful in raising a kid vegetarian or raising a kid who isn't allowed to eat sweets or raising a kid Jewish/Christian/Buddhist whatever. It's not like it stops the kid making their own decisions later in life. The mum might raise this kid as vegetarian but when he gets older he's perfectly able to reject the vegetarianism if he wants, just like kids who are raised Jewish can reject Judaism or whatever. it's when parents threaten to kill their children for making their own decisions (eg. Muslims who kill their kids for converting to other religions) that there's something very wrong.

All this "real parents are supportive of choice" "parents should let kids make their own decisions" is BS. That's why kids aren't allowed to vote. Kids are not smart enough to make their own decisions. You introduce certain decisions to them at certain ages until they reach 18/21 (whatever the age is in your country) where they are legally adults and allowed to make all their decisions for themselves. A real parent does not give their 8 year old the choice of going to school or not. A real parent does not give their 4 year old the choice of eating ice cream and potato chips for breakfast or not. A real parent does not give their 10 year old the choice of binge drinking or not. A real parent does not give their 13 year old the choice of driving to the shops or not. Get the picture? You might think vegetarianism and religion are not important or life-and-death issues, but some people do. And unless they are harming their child in their choice of lifestyle for the child, butt out and leave them be.

loveyahun 0

How in the name of god could a 6year old kid possibly know what e vegetarian is? More importantly why would you give him food that not even the mother gives him? Nice job genius.

CheshireHalli 19

She didn't know the kid was a vegetarian until AFTER he ate the meat. What was she going to do? Reach in and take the food out?

driedpeaches 0

he's old enough to eat meat if he wants to. Obviously he doesn't share his mothers desire to be a vegi. Next week, introduce him to hot dogs

Ladypartslegit 0

if your babysitting wouldn't you know that the child was vegitarian. either the kids parents don't care that much or your an idiot

ZeroCharisma 0

How is deciding not to feed your child meat any different than choosing to? Different families eat different things and a vegetarian family not eating meat isn't any different than a family who does. A lot of people include or omit certain things from their diets, which doesn't make it wrong. My parents never served us eggplant..does that make them weird or horrible or guilty of "indoctrinating" me? No, that's just how my parents ate, and, being their child, how I ate, too. I hate the stigma attached to vegetarianism, as if vegetarian parents are ultra strict Nazis who force vegetables down their children's throats and threaten them with groundation if they ever catch them eating meat. People act like a person is the worst parent in the world for not feeding their child meat. Get a damn life!! There are far worse things in this world than being mindful of what your child eats. Look at all of the parents who could care less what their kids eat. Are they better parents because they let their children eat meat? Absolutely not. It's a proven fact that children who are raised on a vegetarian diet are less likely to be obese and that, as a group, vegetarians are less prone to heart disease, certain cancers and other chronic illnesses. If you want to bitch to a parent about their children's diet, bitch at the parents whose children consume massive quantities of soda and eat nothing but french fries and chicken nuggets. By the way, anyone who knows anything about nutrition can raise a perfectly healthy and happy vegetarian child.

Ok, this is getting (or has been) brutal. We probably should have stopped comments earlier, but better late than never. ;-)

HelenTheWolf 2

That's ****** up... Poor you and poor kid. Parents shouldn't force their kids to be vegetarian, neither should they stop their kid from choosing if they want to be one or not.