Clever boy

By Bug8Frog - 30/07/2013 06:42 - United States - Anchorage

Today, I bought a device that plays a high-pitched sound to teach my dog to quit barking. She's smart enough to learn that as long as she barks loud enough and long enough, she can't hear it. Quite the opposite effect to what I was anticipating. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 715
You deserved it 6 768

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I would take it off. There are other ways to train your dog not to bark. You just need time to teach her.

Comments

realdealcm 11

That really sucks :( barking is annoying. But congrats on having a smart dog :)

No... I thought she enjoyed the constant barking

You should get an electric collar. Worked amazingly on all my dogs.

I would take it off. There are other ways to train your dog not to bark. You just need time to teach her.

TheDrifter 23

And try multiple techniques. I always used the sharp reprimand and a glare technique, but I got one rescue dog that would simply cower and pee until you looked away and them go back to what it was doing. I ended up going to the spray bottle.

44 - We popped our dog to get her to stop. It didn't take long til she quit. Extreme, I know. Now we just turn to her and sharply say her name and she listens. I wouldn't dream of doing that to a rescue though.

jedorr07 5

Tough love is always the best way to go. It doesn't take nearly as long for anything else you want to teach them also

Sounds like you need someone to rehablitate your dog, and train you. He is The dog whisprer. Ceaser milan basically

I've tried a spray bottle with my dog, she just tries to attack the water.

Unless your dog likes water, like mine #5. Lol

Have you taken your dog to the vet? I think she may be deaf. Seriously

Why would a deaf dog hear a sound, then bark louder to drown out said sound?

k_lylepad 19

They're getting smarter. Soon they'll rule us and not the other way around.

RedPillSucks 31

What? Wait... I thought cats were going to rule... *quickly dismantles cat shrine and erects doggie church*

perdix 29

#7, unless your dogs are pulling your sled, herding your sheep or retrieving the ducks you shot, that inversion of who rules whom has already occurred! But my dog is so adorable, I don't mind!

Dawnstempest 17

That's a little cruel. Yes, barking is annoying. But you should have known a dog will bark before you got it. It's like getting a cat and expecting it not to jump, or a bird to fly. If you want something without those qualities, then that is the pet you should have gotten.

Zimmington 21

if Op didn't want annoyances he should've gotten a turtle

Zimmington, you've made quite a name for yourself. Now every time I see one of your comments I feel the urge to thumbs down it.

Not all dogs are the same. Some hardly bark while others bark uncontrollably for no apparent reason. OP maybe was maybe hoping for a dog who seldomly barks, but with all that aside I do disagree with their actions. Why buy such a cruel device when you can easily set aside time to teach a dog not to bark excessively.

How is it cruel? It's not like they put a shock collar on the dog, it's just a noise.

RedPillSucks 31

My dog hardly barks at all. If someone were to break into the house, he's either run to get his tennis ball so they could play with him, or he's show them where all the cash and electronics are. But he would do so quietly.

TheDrifter 23

I find the closer to the size of a football the dog is, the more likely it is to bark incessantly, for no apparent reason. That's why I like my cat, moderate in size but almost completely silent unless it feels it has information that I require.

You could get a Basenji, they can't bark, but they do make a yodel like noise.

Yodelay-yodelay-yodelay-he-boo! lol, That is what I imagined when I read your comment lol. I gave three Japanese Chins, they rarely bark but what they lack in barking 've g t bfn eye make up for with howling. (Hooody-hooody-hoody-hooo is what Rey sound like lol)

tpm45 25

There are collars that squirt lemon scented juice when dogs bark. It worked on mine, and is perfectly humane. You should try one.

Looks like you have a real life Brian Griffin.

A squirt bottle or hitting a rolled up magazine on top of their crate seems to work nicely. Sorry your dog is annoying you, but you do need to teach it discipline early to save yourself some trouble later on. Good luck!

You keep your dog in a crate? They aren't inanimate objects, you know. What the hell kind of life do you think that is for your poor dog? How would you like to be kept in a crate?

A lot of people train their dogs using crates/kennels and it is even recommended by vets and dog trainers. It helps potty train them and it keeps them from getting into things they're not supposed to at night or when you're not home.

Considering we have many dogs, male and female, they can't all be out at the same time or they might fight and get hurt. We only put them in a cage at night, and even then they're pretty large and I wake up at 6 AM to let them out. Stop overreacting.