Besties

By Oh dear... - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I told my college friend that I considered her to be my best friend. She responded, "I don't think you should call me that." FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 071
You deserved it 4 168

Top comments

Yeah the best friends thing is tricky. I have a person that always calls me her best friend when I don't necessarily consider her to be mine. I took the opposite route of your college friend and didn't say anything so now my friend is convinced that I think she's my best friend. It's a double edged sword.

fierydart 0

on the flip side she might have a secret crush on you and if you see her as a best friend then you cant see her as a lover so she doesn't want you to call her that....

Comments

fierydart 0

on the flip side she might have a secret crush on you and if you see her as a best friend then you cant see her as a lover so she doesn't want you to call her that....

Yeah the best friends thing is tricky. I have a person that always calls me her best friend when I don't necessarily consider her to be mine. I took the opposite route of your college friend and didn't say anything so now my friend is convinced that I think she's my best friend. It's a double edged sword.

Same thing happened with my next door neighbour. I also didn’t correct her but figured what’s the harm in letting her continue thinking it; granted she is quite a close friend to me as well, just not my ‘best’ friend. I personally consider whomever I would be asking to be my maid of honour, if there ever is a wedding, (I’m a single child so no sisters to take the place) to be my ‘best’ friend; although I don’t find a whole lot of use in the word, really it’s all just close or closer friends.

At least she was being honest. Granted, maybe she could have said something that was a little nicer, but at least she's not letting you think something that she doesn't reciprocate. On the other hand, she could have just let it go... I can't think of how that would hurt either of them much.

pepper005 0

I tried that once. Good times. (Sarcasm was used in the making of this comment)

wow what a bitch. I've done the EXACT same thing and it hurts and is awkward. I fell into a depression (which I was already falling into anyway) after that. take care of yourself.

OriginalPooh01 0

its not her, its you. YDI for not being lovable! >:D