Balls

By NotASportsGuy - 06/09/2015 12:46 - United States - Long Island City

Today, I started my new job. The first thing my coworkers asked me is what football team I like. When I told them I didn't really like sports, they immediately stopped talking to me and haven't since, even when I ask them work-related questions. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 778
You deserved it 2 780

Same thing different taste

Top comments

A bit childish on their part, but I think the only course of action if this becomes a serious problem that gets in the way of your work is talk to HR or your boss. Sorry, OP.

Talk about being bad sports.. Your coworkers are seriously immature.

Comments

At least you didn't admit to being a Jets fan, that can lead you in hot water

Tell them you are a fan of whatever the cities rival team is and you didn't were worried about rivalries, then read a Wikipedia page on that team, quote some facts, and your good!no fml!

HaplessChef 4

I don't like sports, either. There's no way I'm going to bother to brush up on sports knowledge to appease people I probably don't like in the first place. I don't have to like you or be chummy with you to work with you.

I know a few "not sports fans" that will read a little about sports to keep up with workplace and networking social banter. They're not social butterflies, but are quite career-smart. If you dont want to go to that kind of effort, even just saying "I don't follow sports" (even if that's true) essentially creates a social barrier. "Oh..I loosely follow ______" or "It's fun to catch a ______'s game every now and then" implies you're not a sports buff, but want to keep the social door open.

Ahhh I tried to edit that, but the editing page wasn't working on my phone. :/ Sorry!! "I'm not a sports fan" = social barrier "I loosely follow ______. How about you?" Low effort. Gets the point across that you're not huge into sports. And opens the door to get them talking about their favorite team. = positive social interaction.

It's lame, yes. But HR might be a little much and could backfire. Just try being extra friendly to them and try finding something else to talk to them about. They probably perceived it as OP snubbing them.

Same thing happened to me when I told my coworkers how I think sports are a government distraction. It's alright OP it just goes to that your not brainwashed by the NFL like your coworkers.

Yeah don't really think that's the same thing...

Sports themselves are fine, but the government Im sure is really glad that they distract the masses from the shitty job they are doing.

You're right sports are absolutely fine. I love football and am a big supporter of my local schools. I'm just saying come pro football season and people lose there minds. All they ever talk about is the draft, there favorite team, etc and and don't focus on any of the other stuff going on in the world cuz it's all about who's gonna make it to the superbowl this year. That's just my personal opinion and I'm by no means knocking or putting anyone down for having a favorite pro sports team.

Watch a game and at lunch time when most of them are most likely in the break room, casually strike up a conversation with one of them, saying did you catch the _____'s game? I'm not a sports fan, but it was great! That (sport star's name) really knows what he's doing!! And regarding the questions, e-mail them to your co-workers (preferably with a CC/BCC to your boss), that way you have proof in writing that you're doing your part.

I found your words of wisdom to be quite sound advice. I'm a bit baffled, and somewhat amused, that essentially every comment that offers sound advice is being voted down pretty hard. Maybe not everyone works in an office cube farm ;). Small efforts can go a long way in an office setting (or any work sitch really). And it opens the door for more conversation, collaboration, comeraderie, etc. "Water cooler talk" seems trivial, but can be a cornerstone in a job. As for the coworkers refusing to help with job related tasks, definitely, definitely start BCCing a manager and or HR. And don't delete any email to or from them. Get as much in writing as possible. But also don't go in with the attitude that you're gathering evidence "against" them. Keep a s positive of an attitude as possible, and keep making an effort to connect with them, even on a superficial level.

Reminds me of the episode on the IT Crowd where Moss goes on a soccer linguistic site so he can chat with the other employees about the game

Football's a bunch of crap anyway. The players have only gotten to move a few feet before I hear that stupid whistle.