Artistry

By confusing - 06/06/2014 19:00 - Zimbabwe

Today, my students turned in their male figure artwork. One absolute idiot had the smart idea of drawing me and the TA as some kind of gay lovers. I was torn between disgust at the explicitness, anger at the disrespect, and yet awe at how well-drawn it was. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 099
You deserved it 6 860

Same thing different taste

Top comments

A1BROS 4

As my father once told me: "Son, I appreciate all artwork, though I don't always agree with it."

Guess you could say it was a hard decision;)

Comments

It was probably just meant as a joke. Kids don't always think about their actions before they act them out. He might have thought he'd get a few laughs. Kudos to him for being talented in art, hopefully OP treats the grading professionally and not based on their feelings about said art. A good talk is needed though to explain why this is an inappropriate thing to draw.

If the student addressed the assignment, I don't see a problem. Art is supposed to be a manifestation of raw and explicit human emotion.

depends on your definition of art. comics are considered art, although i dont think archie is "raw and explicit human emotion"

Well, Archie may have felt differently about it. "That Yellow Bastard" on the other hand, is strong stuff.

agreed. pretty much happens to me on a daily basis.

ileenefudge 29

Look up the definition of arsonist please.

How do you think they get their charcoal?

I wouldn't base the student's grade on the fact that you feel disrespected, but base it on how well drawn it is. And then you can have a little talk with your student about how you feel etc.

I don't understand why some people can't take a joke. If you aren't gay, then just laugh if off. If you are gay, then it's just an awesome way to see if you'd make a cute couple.

kewpiesuicide 29

The best art is always controversial

Kitsune_Hana 9

Maybe he just ships you two... Though I'm not really into rps but hey whatever... Ask him why he did it.

A for creativity and detention for cigarets you "found" in his backpack :)