This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

TIL

By rokin - 28/03/2018 21:16 - Canada - Montr?al

Today, I found out that it's possible to flush toilet paper and it doesn't clog a toilet. I'm 24. No wonder so many of my friends don't have a trash in their bathrooms. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 935
You deserved it 5 085

rokin tells us more.

OP here. I grew up in an Indian household , immigrated to Canada when I was young. Indians use something called a "lota", basically a water jug to clean the area, and use toilet paper to wipe it dry. There isn't a smell that comes from the paper, and we would change the garbage frequently. It wasn't just me doing this, it was all of my family and extended family. I don't often use bathrooms in public, and when I do, I use baby wipes which can't be flushed either.

Top comments

Ishvah 15

Does your family have a poop knife too?

So for everyone getting mad at the OP. I was once a similar situation. I was told that the bathrooms at home would clog. So thats why we didn’t do it. And for the idiots who don’t know how trash cans work, you use trash bags.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

There are some countries where you don't flush toilet paper, due to the local plumbing being substandard and often not up to the task. Usually not in Canada though, but perhaps he immigrated to there from one of those countries. It does lead to some unfortunate messes in the bathroom when people from those countries don't find a garbage can near the toilet to leave the used paper in.

Exactly what I was going to say. There are some countries with pretty ancient cities that don't have the modern plumbing required to handle toilet paper and make you throw away the paper instead of flushing. If OP is immigrated recently from one of those countries, then this FML isn't as stupid as it may come across. If OP is originally from Canada.....

My boyfriends family is from Mexico and they moved to the US over 30 years ago. The plumbing there is horrible and you have to keep a trash can for the paper. They thought it was still the same over here and to this day they still only put paper in the trash can and will not flush it.

I've lived only with family or myself before, but there was always a garbage in the bathroom. I always threw my toilet paper, along with any other female sanitary products, into a garbage directly.

In many countries, India and Brazil for example, the plumbing system's aren't as large or well built as they are in the US, Europe or Canada etc.. and they can only handle the waste of us, not the paper or tampons. I experienced this when I was in Brazil, the toilets kept clogging until the family explained that you put the used toilets paper in the bin. The exchange student who was living at my house in SA at the time was putting her paper in the bin, not the toilet. Sometimes things are so natural for you, you don't expect them to be any different in another country. And the OP said his family was doing, so the parents were obviously there, and did the same. Don't be so judgemental and naive about other cultures....

Don't try to flush tampons. Sincerely, Europe.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

How does that make them a step closer to being a real Canadian?

Or that people never come to your house twice? Your bathroom must stink like Satan’s anus!

Ishvah 15

Does your family have a poop knife too?

Donut_Wizard 23

Even better. They have a poop spork.

That's the funniest fml I have ever read 😂

Sarah Jezierny Harmon 5

So you’ve had a garbage can full of shit-covered toilet paper in your bathroom for 24 years?! 😂😂

And nobody in your house for 20 years noticed a persistent odor from the soiled toilet paper sitting in the trashcan?

Umm...people take out the trash. In my house the trashcans are emptied every day, including the one in the bathroom. I'm sure OPs would be too?

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

So for everyone getting mad at the OP. I was once a similar situation. I was told that the bathrooms at home would clog. So thats why we didn’t do it. And for the idiots who don’t know how trash cans work, you use trash bags.

i8cake 12

I have in-laws from Albania who do that. We have to line our bins with extra liners when they visit and clean the bins as soon as they leave. we have proper sewer lines and live in a nice townhouse.