Witches Brew

By Hellassi - 09/07/2021 00:01

Today, my stepmom burned all my Harry Potter stuff. Apparently, Harry Potter is the "Devil’s plan to corrupt good Christian children" and "That shit is make believe anyway." What did my dad ever see in this evil witch? FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 306
You deserved it 115

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Burn some of her shit right back and tell her you sensed witchcraft in her belongings.

Doesn't matter how old you are and her reasons are unjustified. Religions are just giant scams to make people comfortable in handing over there money and getting what they want. Live your life how you want and buy all of it back after you move out. My daughter loves all that stuff and I rather that then drugs or whatever other negative shit she could be into.

Comments

rocknrollcomedy 5

The reason is absolutely stupid but the action is wholly supported. No one above about 10 should own anything Harry Potter.

Nico711 17

If you can just shut the **** up and let people live their lives that would be great.

rocknrollcomedy 5

No. We have too many boneless adult-children living in fantasy world than was ever necessary. It's time common sense starts putting down their service animals.

VnD 10

And who the hell are you to tell people what they can or can't own? I've been a fan of Harry Potter for 20 years now and if anyone ever touch my books, I'd chop their hands off!!

rocknrollcomedy 5

Thank you for proving my exact point, and I think we both know your "chopping their hands off" would be you murmuring spit bubbles in your safe space.

So the fact that the later movies are PG13 don’t mean anything? They’re still only for 10 year olds? And the stories that defined a generation just stopped doing that once they turned 11? Get real.

rocknrollcomedy 5

First, PG13 means they can't buy a ticket on their own under 13. That's it. Technically, any movie above G requires parents to be there; so Peter Rabbit, Mouse Hunt, Stewart Little - same thing. 2ndly, no, it shouldn't just drop off. It should be weaned away while they're exposed to better shit. It's called raising your child and if you don't do it, you end up with someone 25, 30 years old introducing themselves by what Hogwarts House they think they are. We got more then enough of those people, especially when we didn't need any. The only thing this mom did wrong was wait as long as she did, because now that thumbsucker is going to need therapy to get over their poor baby make believe books. Gag.

I'm not a HP fan, but geez, let people enjoy what they want, regardless of their age.

Burn some of her shit right back and tell her you sensed witchcraft in her belongings.

im a 33 yr old ravenclaw u can be my kid now harry potter is fun

Marcella1016 31

Dude I’m Ravenclaw too and I never hear anyone else say that. Haha awesome!

Staraptor592 2

I never really cared for HP that much, but I have several friends who are obsessed. And if I were in a hogwarts house it would be Ravenclaw!

Doesn't matter how old you are and her reasons are unjustified. Religions are just giant scams to make people comfortable in handing over there money and getting what they want. Live your life how you want and buy all of it back after you move out. My daughter loves all that stuff and I rather that then drugs or whatever other negative shit she could be into.

Warp1978 15

I feel you, the same thing happened to me over some items in my wardrobe which my stepmum decided were satanic. I let her have it after my old man took her side saying I'd incited her to do it by flaunting them... They were the back of my drawers. The items in question were a pair of leather trousers and a rubber t-shirt and alsorted collars. People do the craziest things in the name of religion.

I feel sorry for both of you. You got your stuff taken away and burned for no good reason and stepmom is apparently under the spell of some wackos filling her head with demonic stories about stuff that is just innocent fantasies. You cannot take away or damage stepmom’s stuff because that would just make things worse and probably reinforce the indoctrination in her head that you were under a spell or something. Hopefully you have one parent who is not a nut job - Talk to Dad and explain what happened without yelling or crying, as calm as you can. Hopefully Dad might be able to get stepmom to get some badly needed perspective. I have said this often - We have to make do with the parents we have, not the ones we wish we had. That means that sometimes the children have to find the adult wisdom to deal with the attitudes and the misinformation that their parents are subject to. The best way to change a parent’s opinion is to ask questions that make them think though the inconsistencies of their beliefs themselves instead of arguing which causes them to stop listening. I don’t know how many times I have been truly thankful reading an FML that my parents were normal!

Wadlaen 23

Well, J.K. Rowling describes herself as a practicing christian, and says that christian faith undergirds her fictional creation, so I'm not so sure about your step moms conclusions... Sorry for your loss!

How about you burn all of her religious stuff and tell her "it's make believe anyway"?

TomeDr 24

There’s actually a ton of Christian symbolism in the Harry Potter books.

Like a male who has to die to save everyone from evil, and is then resurrected.

Advance 56

The real reason the Church is afraid of HP is that this saga (as others) makes kids read. And when kids read, they can learn. If they learn, they can want to refuse religion. And nobody likes to lose followers.

Well fair is fair, she burned your stuff, you should set her on fire in retribution.