Where am I going wrong?

By Anonymous - 13/02/2016 09:25 - United Kingdom - Bournemouth

Today, while driving on the motorway, I sneezed so hard my contacts popped out. FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 940
You deserved it 1 435

Same thing different taste

Top comments

TabooSushi 24

Wha... As a wearer of contact lenses: How did you even manage that? That's kind of impressive.

Pull over to the side and pop those ******* back in!

Comments

This post made me nervous, I think a follow-up is needed. Were you able to pull over and find your contacts? Could you put them back in, or were they too dirty? Also, something that works for me is to pinch my nose when I feel a sneeze coming up, it will stop it from happening.

Can the science side of FML please explain this?

Aaah, luckily you're not blind enough without them else this will turn out differently. Ah-chooo!

How is that possible? That's pretty cool tbh

Redgy22 26

How? Your eyes close when you sneeze. I've been in the optical industry for over 25 years & have never heard of this. Even with hard lenses. hmmm

I work in optics too and thought the same thing. Maybe an air bubble? that wouldn't explain both happening at the same time though.

If your contacts come out that easily, you should see an optometrist about getting a different fit. Perhaps something different than a soft lens.

I've had that happen to me too, twice. The first time I was pulling out of a parking lot and turning left through a green light when I sneezed, blinked and one contact folded and the other fell out. As I'm almost legally blind without them I couldn't see my stick-shift, let alone out my windshield. Fortunately it was late enough at night that I swung wide, ate some curbs and drove straight for a grocery parking lot I remembered being there. I was able to get one eye back in and kept going. The second time though I was going over fifty miles an hour, but it was also at night and somewhere that wasn't hard to navigate so I stayed in the middle of both lanes and pulled off at the first opportunity. It's extremely terrifying OP, so FYL indeed.

How in the flippity floppity hell is this even possible...???

Redgy22 26

It's not. Not by sneezing. If the lens is dry enough, rapid blinking could cause it to fold up, become painful, & roll out onto your face perhaps which is why you carry re-wetting drops at all times. Sneezing does NOT cause lenses to pop out of your eye. If you continue to had any issues with lenes folding up or sliding around, it's due to a poor fit & you need to go back to the doctor.