Wax on, wax off

By thanks mom - 03/05/2019 14:00

Today, after 10 years of intense training, I earned a black belt in karate. When I told my mom, she asked how long it took me, then laughed and sarcastically remarked, "Wow. SO impressive," whilst slow-clapping. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 382
You deserved it 328

Same thing different taste

Top comments

doomsdayaddams 6

Wow. Being hateful and rude to your child who’s a black belt? Mean AND stupid. Way to go, Mom.

Comments

Mungolikecandy 19

Did she get one in six months? If so I can see the reason for her disdainful approach.

doomsdayaddams 6

Wow. Being hateful and rude to your child who’s a black belt? Mean AND stupid. Way to go, Mom.

Has your mother done anything even that close to amazing? Probably having you. You should be proud of yourself. Black belt is amazing.

Haha I train too and to expect anything quicker is just ridiculous. I thought it was the kids that were unrealistic 😂.

postinspector 3

10 years??? it takes between 3 and 5 years for most schools

onceuponatime456 16

In a true martial arts Temple / school you live there & study 10 to 14 hours a day 6 days a week and I have seen with my own eyes a whole bunch of local black belts and their instructor from classes in town get their asses kicked buy a bunch of second years from the temple that we lived by outside of town, and even a natural at martial arts might be able to get his black belt in 5 years at living at a temple but they would have to be extremely good.

James Acosta 8

at a temple the belt is solely to keep your cloths on. they dont study and train martial arts 10 to 14 hours a day. they do meditation, cook, clean, study history then for a hour or maybe 2 do actual martial arts combat training. the belt system was added many years later to give schools reasons to charge as a way to progress students and keep them paying to come back. I have seen black belts of 15 years with multiple degrees also get thier ass kicked by someone that had 2 months training. personal level of commitment and ability is all that matters. not how many years.

You should show her a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick that brushes an inch from her face. That’d impress her!

onceuponatime456 16

Get the bitch out of your life. She may be your mother but she is worthless if she treats you like that!

Who cares what she thinks Wear that belt with pride

Sometimes achievements are only appreciated by those who know better. I’ve not practiced martial arts, but I know from experience in other sports. It’s rude of her to belittle your hard work, but her opinion may not mean anything. Not too comforting, I know, because you always want your mothers approval. Try to take pride in your achievement, knowing the hard work it took to get there, and in the appreciation from peers and instructors.