Wait, what?

By The Bosnian - 15/10/2020 02:02 - Sweden - Solna

Today, after I applied and interviewed for a technical position in IT two weeks ago, they informed me that I didn't get it, because I'm "too technical." How the hell is that even possible? FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 256
You deserved it 94

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Marcella1016 31

I guess it’s...technically possible.

It means that you're an übernerd that even nerds find too nerdy.

Comments

It means that you're an übernerd that even nerds find too nerdy.

Marcella1016 31

I guess it’s...technically possible.

not every company wants people that can actually fix things. sometimes they just want "you're here because we have to have you here so sit down and shut up"

Yep, the company probably wants a general IT worker rather than someone who may possibly leave in a year or want a higher position shortly after being hired. You could also be way too anal or over analyzing problems that have simple solutions.

In other words, overqualified. It's a well known problem.

It could mean that you have great technical skills but not the soft skills and interpersonal skills you’d need to be successful. If it were me I’d ask them to clarify and indicate what I should improve on for future interviews and positions.

Personally I think it means they declined you for reasons they don’t want to say so they came up with a BS reason.

Personally I think it means they declined you for reasons they don’t want to say so they came up with a BS reason to tell you.

HR often wants a very specific level of experience not too much not too little. If you have a degree and 10 years experience it's weird to have you apply for an entry level spot.