By BenFiggy - 21/04/2016 13:28 - United States - Brick

Today, while waiting in line with my 4-year-old son, I had to awkwardly apologize to an African-American gentleman and explain to my son that the man was not made out of chocolate. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 743
You deserved it 2 627

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I mean, your son is 4. Has he been so sheltered that he has never seen an African American or is it just rare or something? But hopefully the guy didn't think too much of it since your son is little.

imcornelious 15

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

I asked the exact same thing about my moms friend when I was younger. I was so confused. It didn't help that the lady always gave me chocolate when I saw her.

Sounds pretty innocent. I'm sure if he is a rational man , thought it was funny and won't be mad at 4 year old. But yeah don't shelter him too much , play some Sesame Street at least

This should have been a conversation that you had with your son in a non-public venue. People who are embarrassed by their children's behavior in public have generally not prepared then for life in public. YDI

ashbee11790 8

This is a bit extreme. Just because the kid word-vomited something that to adults might be offensive doesn't mean the kid knew any better. My cousin who was born and lived most of his childhood in a small town asked his parents why a little boy was black, with the little boy's parents standing right there and the little boy's parents understood completely. When I was little my mom took me in to a Mostly Spanish speaking store and I cried because at that time I had never heard anyone speak anything besides English and it scared me. Just because a child doesn't understand, or asks a question that pops in their head with out thinking about how they word it doesn't mean the parent is at fault. There was a whole show called "kids say the funniest things". And I mean ****, the kid is 4 for crying out loud! If that man did get offended then he is the one in the wrong.

Man, you can prepare your kid for every situation under the sun and they'll still find a way to embarrass you. When I was little I saw a lady that had the exact skin tone as my grandma. We always called my grandma caramel colored so I very excitedly shouted, "MAMA, IT'S A CARAMEL LADY LIKE MABECK. DOES SHE NEED A HUG?!?!" The lady thought it was hilarious and my mom had to break my heart and tell me that every caramel person did NOT need a hug from me.

you must live in the whitest place in the country

CaitiieBuggs 23

I remember thinking African Americans were chocolate, but I also thought Caucasians were vanilla when I was a little kid.

My mom told me that when I was little, the first time I saw an African American man was at a store and I shouted, "Mommy that man is really dirty! He needs to take a bath!" Thankfully the man was kind and just laughed and didn't take any offense as my mom was explaining to me that it was his actual skin color. All in all, don't worry about it OP kids learn in sometimes embarrassing ways

My sister and I had a black baby doll. When my sister (who would of been 3 or 4) unwrapped the gift containing the doll she did excitedly say CHOCOLATE!

Contrary to popular belief, black people are NOT everywhere. There are plenty of areas (especially in the more rural ones) where seeing a black person might not be an every day thing. Just like there aren't white people in all areas of Africa for example...