By Anonymous - 18/02/2014 16:31 - United States

Today, while waiting in line at a store, a toddler behind me was throwing a major meltdown while his father yelled at him, giving me a migraine. I turned to the woman behind me and said, "Can you believe this kid? I feel sorry for his mother." Turns out the woman was his mother. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 099
You deserved it 46 616

Same thing different taste

Top comments

flashback.miss 28

the mother was probably embarrassed and distressed. hopefully it's not a daily occurrence.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
TrinityisLife 22

yeah.....that child could have been autistic

safe assumption. if one person behind you is pissing you off, chances are the are affiliated with others behind you. YDI OP just burn down a post office like a normal person.

Yeah it's pretty damn easy to tell who is with who at a grocery store, so the OP is clearly a dumbass.

That's embarrassing, but at least you didn't say anything like, "Some people shouldn't have kids". Parents hate listening to their kids cry as much as anyone else. If it were me, I probably would have said I felt sorry for myself. But when my kids throw fits, I take them out of the store.

royalsgrl 14

So your in the middle of shopping and checking out so you should leave and walk away without anything because your kid is having a fit??? I have 4 kids and you gotta deal with it and if propel behind stare or bitch well you know what to bad for them !! Kids are kids and they do have there moments. Only a mother can be understanding towards another patent dealing with screaming kids. If your not a parent yourself you have no patience for it but also should keep your ignorant comments to yourself like OP should have. For that reason she deserves it!!!!

In this case, both parents were there. One could have removed the screaming child and the other finished the shopping.

#143: Well, maybe if the father hadn't started yelling at the kid, OP probably would've been more understanding. Most of us who get irritated by noisy kids understand that they're kids and cry simply because they're too young to understand social norms and etiquette outside the home, but when we see a parent reciprocating yelling and crying with louder yelling and crying, we tend to lose a lot more patience and respect for the kid as well as the parent with piss-poor kid management skills. Perhaps some people don't realize that their patience runs thin before they have kids, or they think that parenthood is a cakewalk, but somewhere down the road, those people must have asked themselves, "Man, could I even see myself raising a child?"

Did she reply "I'm sorry for her too?" And why would the father be yelling at the baby instead of calming him/her down??

amayasoma 19

Because each parent is different and each child is different. I've seen some parents talk calmly to try and get their child to calm down but it doesn't work all the time. Unsure how the dad was behaving. or if he was actually yelling or just fussing sternly at the child.

#22 Have you thought daddy reached his limit and was frustrated? No? well then next time why don't you think. He's a person just like you.

#71: Yeah, but it was the father's choice to have a kid. There's no point in making others around you suffer for your own life choices.

Grauncho 27

I'm sure she appreciates your sympathy.

Am I the only one who is going to point out "toddler behind me," and "woman behind me??" Should've put two and two together and known that was probably the toddlers mother.

8313girl 28

I know this is gonna get thumbed down but I feel sorry for OP. She had a migraine. That's 10 times worse than a headache. Her head probably wanted to explode. Now she's found the good luck of standing in front of a baby having a temper tantrum. I hear a crying baby I run the other way if possible. Yes it's safe to assume I don't have kids. Since there were TWO parents there, the decent thing to do was for one of them to take the baby outside and calm him down and wait on the other parent to come out of the store.

thechaosmachine 2

In my experience, the vast majority of people who say they have a migraine are not having a migraine. They have a headache. And for a toddler's temper tantrum causing it, I have a hard time believing it. Something in OP's "Can you believe this kid?" statement makes me think that they were just annoyed.

No, the decent thing to do is not criticize a young child for behaving as young children do to a complete stranger. I can empathize with the headache/migraine and how terrible it is to deal with someone so close being so loud, but that doesn't give her leave to start trash talking a poor kid (who is probably just having a bad day, too.)

How come the child needs to leave. I agree that was the right thing the parent should have done, but it's their child and technique. Her headache is really not their problem. Are they supposed to be mind readers? If it was seriously a migraine than she could have left the store with her mouth shut on the way.

Because you generally punish the one causing the public disturbance and not the innocent shopper just waiting in line. Think about it, if it was an adult screaming, yelling and crying in public, would they not be asked to leave or escorted out by security because they are disturbing other customers and creating a scene? Why should a child be any different? They have to learn what behavior is and isn't acceptable in public. The child creates a disturbance and just like any adult would be, they should be removed from the store. A screaming child is everyone's business. Why? Because a screaming child bothers everyone in the immediate area, not just mom and dad.

You cannot compare a child to an adult. Their mind set is no where near the same. If a child is throwing a fit because they want to leave and you take them out the store what have you taught the child? Nothing he or she just got their way and the behavior will continue for the next trip. As an adult you understand kids act out, and sometimes you are going to be exposed to the screams. If it was that big of a deal than the adult with knowledge should have left themselves or even set the basket to the side and walked away. If an infant cries in a store would you respond the same way? This child was probably only two to three years of age and that has to be kept in mind. This is the age of tantrums and why's because they don't understand and are in the process of learning. They are still babies in this way just like the infant who is hungry or tired.

Yes, honestly I would. If I wanted to listen to children scream and shout I would have my own or hang out at a play zone. By screaming and carrying on that child makes themselves a part of everyone's business and the only people who signed up for that headache are the parents. I don't care the reason why they are screaming, if your kid won't shut up you remove them from the store. If it's a baby, go stand outside until it's fallen back to sleep or whatever then come back. They will probably calm down quicker away from the hustle and bustle of business anyway. If it's a toddler whining about going home, take him outside and calmly explain that if they continue carrying on and force you to have to go home now, their favorite toy, food, or whatever is going away, or that they are going straight into the corner, or straight to bed, or whatever, I don't care. This is how my mother raised me and I learned really fast that throwing fits in public was going to lose me more than it gained. By allowing them to stay all you are teaching them is that the fit is acceptable to continue until they tire themselves out and everyone has to just let it happen.

Chaosshadowzero 15

I agree no one wants to hear your brat screaming, I hate kids and I hate teenagers, well most of them anyways

Mommyof2boys 1

You really should keep things to yourself. Not all children have meltdowns because they are brats. I get dirty looks pretty much every time we go out. The thing people don't understand is my oldest has autism. All it takes is a loud noise or the wrong texture touches him and he has a huge meltdown which scares my 2 year old. Its not easy being a parent especially when you have everyone else on your back while you are trying to get your kid or kids calmed down.

I agree with that one. My son would have meltdowns everywhere and still will sometimes because something changes that he's not used to. People don't understand not all disabilities can be seen

#29 #38 Oh I agree I hate how judgmental others are especially those without children making snide comments, disapproving looks, and treating parents like second class citizens. Lord knows how many rude people demanded I keep my daughter home when she cries or how I should not nurse in public because oh my it's indecent.

toomanyidiots 14

73, is it now rude to request common decency? (Not talking about breastfeeding, not touching that with a ten-foot pole. But if women are permitted to breastfeed in public, I should be able to walk topless in public, like men. Unfortunately, only one of those will have you cited for "public indecency.")

#78 it is rude toddlers throw fits, it's life people need to mind their own. I need to get to get things done just like everyone else.

toomanyidiots 14

Isn't it rude of you to keep your child around people who did NOT consent to listen to its screaming? How can people mind their own business if your child is affecting them, i.e. if your child is loud enough to be their business? What happened to hiring a babysitter? If not that, for some reason (short notice? having enough money for a kid, but not for a sitter?), why not ask a spouse, neighbor, sibling, or friend to babysit for a short time while you buy groceries? Is it really "a fact of life"? Owners of an establishment can legally remove a family with a screaming child from the premises.

skipper2009 18

#73, the reason I'm NOT having kids is for that exact reason. I don't want to listen to the constant screaming and crying that does affect me. Common decency would say to most people, "hey my kid is screaming and probably annoying others maybe I should take the kid elsewhere as to not annoy others." Stop making others suffer because you have to deal with that for years to come.

frizz101 22

No actually they cannot, 92. But in regards to hiring a baby sitter or asking a family member or spouse to baby sit is not always an option. Sure they may be able to afford a baby sitter, but not every one trusts a stranger or teenager to watch their kids for 5-20 bucks an hour. They may not have family or friends willing to or able to baby sit. Especially if their child has a disability. And here Is a crazy thought, maybe the spouses want to spend a little time together, even if it's just a trip to the store. People need to stop judging people with kids with their own ideas of how to parent, because frankly, most of those people don't have kids and their advice is worst than useless.

Oh Johnny wants to leave so he's throwing a tantrum, better take him outside! Meanwhile in little Johnny's head: Hmmmm, I got my way by throwing a fit! I'll do this again. bam. useless advice.

Spouse: Johnny My kid is throwing a fit, I'll take him outside. Outside to kid: We will be going back inside as soon as you are done. If you wish to continue this little snit to force us to go home as soon as we get there (insert toy here) is going in the trash and you can spend the rest of the afternoon with your nose in the corner, (with a sore butt, in your room, in bed, it really doesn't matter at this point insert disciplinary action here) Johnny: You wouldn't Spouse: Oh yes I would, in a heartbeat. Bam: Advice made useful again. No one said they had to remain outside. Just that they had to keep the kid out there till he stopped screaming.

That's just how toddlers are. Ever heard of the terrible twos? That was just ride. YDI.

This is a prime example of why I don't express opinions like this to random people in public. my luck, the same thing would happen to me...awkward.