By smiley1014 - 18/11/2013 09:14 - United States

Today, while swimming in the ocean, I felt some sand under my wedding ring. I took it off for a second, and got hit by a huge wave. My ring is now lost somewhere in the ocean. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 652
You deserved it 43 314

smiley1014 tells us more.

smiley1014 23

I guess I didn't put on the FML that I am a male. My wife told me that she wants me to wear my ring (except during work, which is Aviation and we're not allowed). I told her I wasn't comfortable wearing it in the ocean, and she said I had to anyway. After losing my ring, my wife bought snorkel equipment and I spent an hour diving for it until the sun set. My wife and I have been married for 5 years, and we both got a laugh out of it, and we purchased another ring the next day in a Hawaiian market that now has a story and more meaning than the first ring.

Top comments

XDsmileyDX_fml 24

Where did taking your ring off in the ocean sound like a good idea?

Why does your wife get to decide what you should do if you don't feel comfortable with it? I'm glad everything worked out though.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Now, all OP can do is 'wave' her ring goodbye..

Now, all OP can do is 'wave' her ring goodbye..

hellbilly205 17

I feel like you're quite stupid to go swimming with your wedding ring on, in the first place.

I guess he won't sea that ring again. I didn't wanna do it but the guy above me started it XD

caohm 18

I'd suggested not wearing it next time but it doesn't look like you have a choice. It really sucks that happened though.

Altie 13

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

"That guy" was Stu. And it was The Hangover 2 that took place in Bangkok, not the third one.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

37 that's a nice compliment, although I tend to deviate from mainstream media, I enjoy movies you silly condescending duck

40 you just killed me there. Have my thumbs up.

35, being a smartass doesn't always pay off, 38 was right it was teddy not stu.

pop culture knowledge is EXTREMELY useful on this website, especially if you don't want to be buried in down votes.

Justy101 23

35 - It was Teddy that they were looking for. Not Stu. If you're going to correct someone, at least have your facts right.

XDsmileyDX_fml 24

Where did taking your ring off in the ocean sound like a good idea?

Where did OP get the idea it was a good decision to go swimming with jewelry on?

Most people generally keep their wedding rings on ALL the time.

xStaciexLynnx 15

I've never heard of someone taking their ring off to swim. Most rings fit snug enough not to just fall off- unless you take them off.

well considering they dropped it in the toilet and sink yesterday...

lexxiii 17

Why didn't you wait until you weren't in the ocean? Those waves are a killer. But either way, fyl.

Sorry OP, that's terrible; but that was a very bad decision. Why would you take your ring off in the ocean; Couldn't you wait until you were on land where it would be safe?

you should've gotten out to clean it , the ocean likes unsuspecting victims

Why would you take it off while still in the ocean? As annoying as sand may be I still would have waited until I was out of the water.

Rainhawk94 27

Who wears a wedding ring while swimming. To show aquaman you're taken? Ydi

I do. I keep mine on all the time unless I'm scrubbed in surgery.

Rainhawk94 27

I just don't see how people don't expect to lose things at out sea

I'm married and I take my rings off all the time. When I sleep, when I shower, when I'm cleaning, and yes, when I swim. It's a piece of jewelry I intend to wear for my whole life; I want to keep it in good condition. And it's not like you magically become divorced the second you slip it off your finger.

Holy_Schnikes 23

I only take my ring off for work, showers and cleaning because I don't want to break it. I've already lost two stones in the three years I've had it from hitting it against counters, I don't want to lose anymore.

It depends on the ring, my engagement ring has stones that I don't want losing and that get caught on things very easily so I take it off to shower because it could easily get caught in my hair and pulled out when I'm washing it. I think if it was just a plain band, there wouldn't be so much of an issue and I'd probably keep it on all the time. But yeah, plenty of married people take off their rings in order to prevent damage. Doesn't mean they're less committed.

strawberrywine22 30

After losing the first stone in mine, my husband and I put both our wedding rings in my jewelry case. We have substitute rings, just two $30 plain gold bands, that basically say "hey, sorry, I'm unavailable" and we wear our original rings when we go to dinner and whatnot.