By Merith2004 - 04/02/2014 05:18 - United States - Spring Branch

Today, while at a funeral for a distant family member, I was giving my condolences to the family. When one of them asked how I was doing, I replied with, "I'm still alive!", which is one of my standard responses due to being a cashier and being asked that question a hundred times a day. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 888
You deserved it 12 694

Merith2004 tells us more.

hey everyone. thanks for being understanding for the most part. this was just one of the "I wasnt thinking" kind of things. dont worry though: I got several slaps on the back of then head from cousins who were in earshot.

Top comments

MxAxRxCxO 30

Poor choice of words under the circumstances, although you meant no harm

StompinOnCrayons 15

Well, at least you are alive !

Comments

Goblin182 26

I feel your pain OP. I was at a cousin's viewing when his daughter came up to me and asked, "Doesn't he look good". I almost blurted out, "no, he looks dead".

Well, awkward, but less embarrassing then when someone left my apartment and I said, "Have a good day and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart".

Well at least you didn't say "better than the dead guy, I'm still kickin!"

Sitting_Ducki 8

lol this made me laugh. if anyine of them ever waited on people before theyll understand.

That's my standard response as well; that, or "I'm still breathing (or 'drawing breath')" I've had to catch myself a couple times in these types of situations!

hey everyone. thanks for being understanding for the most part. this was just one of the "I wasnt thinking" kind of things. dont worry though: I got several slaps on the back of then head from cousins who were in earshot.

Are you Tony Dinozzo from NCIS by any chance? XD Hey, at least you're being optimistic! I'm surprised they're asking you that, it seems like it would be more likely the other way around. At least from personal experience, I don't generally know my distant relatives real well or am close to them; I went to a funeral for my Great Aunt that I didn't even know (I think I had met her once).

strawberrywine22 30

Lol I pictured Denozo too, but probably because of my mother's embarrassing habit of saying "Deno-zo" when smacking someone upside the head.

Goblin182 26

#59, this was a distant relative so these were probably people she had not seen in a while. Hey, how are you would be a standard greating. They were not necessarily wondering how OP was holding up over hte loss. Just a thought.

Goblin182 26

OK, did anyone else notice OP said "I got slaps on the back THEN (instead of THE) head from cousins? Got kind of weirded out for a second.

I'm pretty sure most people realized OP meant THE instead of then.

OP, just wanted to let you know this is one of my favorite FMLs :)

I tend to stay "I'm alive!" All the time, I'm sure they know you meant nothing by it.

Most people answer "How are you?" questions with a bit of a fib. You have a polite, pat response that would be appropriate in most situations (I've been known to mutter "Surviving" if I'm in a really bad mood), just not here. But if you get asked that a lot, you probably don't think before the response comes tumbling out of your mouth. It happens. Hopefully the slaps from your cousins were of the good-natured sort.

Well maybe you could explain that to them. They were probably offended but would forgive you if they new that you didn't mean it in the exact context they took it. Wrong words for the time and place is all.