By purebliss - 06/12/2013 00:43 - Australia - Rozelle

Today, upon hearing of the death of Nelson Mandela, I posted a link on Facebook to the South African children's hospital in his name and donated. I was completely ignored whilst my newsfeed became clogged by my middle-class friends with "RIP Nelson Mandela" and photos of Morgan Freeman. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 831
You deserved it 6 133

purebliss_fml tells us more.

OP here :) Some of you have taken this the wrong way so let me clarify - I was in NO way trying to garner 'likes' for donating to the Nelson Mandela Children's Hospital. I never even mentioned that I donated, I just posted the link and a little comment saying Please donate in honour of his memory. I assume no one donated because they didn't say anything and I just think it's a bit sad because even a couple of dollars goes a long way. Not many of my friends would have heard of the hospital either so I thought if I brought it to their attention they could donate and help the children in South Africa receive the care and treatment they desperately need. I believe it's a great way to honour Nelson Mandela's memory.

Top comments

People in my class today were talking about how Morgan Freeman was better than Mandela anyways because his voice was cooler. People these days can be awful.

Look on the bright side OP, half of those friends (the Morgan Freeman pics) will probably serve you sandwiches at Subway 20 years from now... I actually had a friend who posted "RIP MORGAN FREEMAN" on his Facebook. I called him out on that and the next thing I know most of his friends and family are deriding him for being an insensitive idiot. There is hope.

Comments

Wizardo 33

In their rush to look good and to be seemingly keeping up with current affairs and to make others think that they genuinely care, some people just lose their common sense and decency. Its just a vanity project posted on a vanity project.

As opposed to OP, who only donated to the hospital in his name because the guy died, then got mad when he didn't get enough likes for it?

Wizardo 33

Nothing to do with likes but more to do with honour of memory, its sad to see people assume a good or neutral intent in doing something positive gains so much criticism.

They're just one of those people who don't give a shit until someone dies or goes crazy doing drugs.

While I think it's pretty pathetic on their part, I'm annoyed by your condescending use of middle-class.

I think by "middle-class" I think she meant friends from her middle school. that's what I initially took it as.

#18. I see your point. I just interpreted it as OP thinks all middle class people are like that which is what annoyed me.

BeautifulChaos27 37

Thank you! That's how I took it as well, like the OP was looking down on middle class people in general. If you feel that way stick to your upper class. It seems as though OP would fit in with the "upper class snobs" saying perfectly.

RedPillSucks 31

Not sure why #18 is being thumbed down. That's a legitimate interpretation, although when I first read the FML, I looked at it as #15 did.

The way you talk about the "middle-class" and complain that people didn't notice your donation proves you're a rich douche bag who thinks money solves everything. You're the one with the problem here; not your friends. Oh and I couldn't give two shats if the admins get pissed and delete this. Hell, delete my whole account if you must. You know my point is correct.

jeniaisling 6

So basically you're upset that no one took notice of your selfless act that you required recognition for than actually reflecting on his life? Totes.

Yeah we all need to focus on the most important thing here. Not Nelson Mandela's death but the fact that OP totally wasted that money donating to charity because no one even noticed. You should totes ask for a refund....

Charity isn't that charitable if you expect acknowledgment for it...just sayin.

OP here :) Some of you have taken this the wrong way so let me clarify - I was in NO way trying to garner 'likes' for donating to the Nelson Mandela Children's Hospital. I never even mentioned that I donated, I just posted the link and a little comment saying Please donate in honour of his memory. I assume no one donated because they didn't say anything and I just think it's a bit sad because even a couple of dollars goes a long way. Not many of my friends would have heard of the hospital either so I thought if I brought it to their attention they could donate and help the children in South Africa receive the care and treatment they desperately need. I believe it's a great way to honour Nelson Mandela's memory.

Actually the post does claim that the OP donated.

beelee1988 13

I believe she meant that she didn't mention to anyone on Facebook, that she donated.

I don't know what's worse: your FML, or mine. Today, I mentioned to my coworkers that Nelson Mandela had died. Their response? "Who is Nelson Mandela?" FML. They had lots to say when Paul Walker died, but they don't even know who Nelson Mandela is. So sad. Kind of makes me feel better about being unpopular in my workplace. What's really heartbreaking to think about, though: Some of your friends who posted the "RIP Nelson Mandela" status with the picture of Morgan Freeman may not have even realized that it wasn't a picture of Nelson Mandela. It wouldn't surprise me given that my coworkers didn't even know who Nelson Mandela was. One even asked rather casually, "Is he an actor?" *face palm*

oh yeah it will be weeks more of Paul Walker (not that his death isnt tragic) but a great man like Nelson Mandela dies and it will be gone in days.

Yeah, in a way it's sadder that Paul Walker died because he was so young (and Nelson Mandela was so old), but it's a shame that more people seem to know who he is than Nelson Mandela. To be honest, I didn't even know who Paul Walker was until he died,and while he brought joy to many people with his acting and his movies, his accomplishments and influence pale in comparison to those of Nelson Mandela. It just reflects poorly on the state of our culture today... Or at the very least, the knowledge of my coworkers.

Perhaps you could remember that Mandela isn't an activist from our generation. Yes he did some great things but not things that would come up in our breaking news (aside from his illness) and he's not from my country, apologies, I didn't check where you live. There's no excuse for confusing him with Freeman but he's not someone who gets plastered over our screens or in our newspaper every day. He hasn't changed the world during my lifetime, he did it before. Perhaps that's why a lot of people don't recognise him.

#54 just wow. So just before it happened before you were born, stuff like that is not worth learning and it's ok for people to have such low general culture ?

61, would you condemn someone for not knowing who Paul walker is? Probably not, you may think it odd but the most people would do is mayhap make fun of them. How can you condemn someone for not knowing who Nelson Mandela is when he is not of our generation. Sure he has changed the world and done wonderful things in his life time, but so have many people who go unnoticed. I think people on Facebook are commenting more about Paul walker is because he is of our generation and famous from the fast and the furious franchise (obvious) but also because he died in an accident. His death was sudden and unexpected. Nelson Mandela was a great man for humanity reasons but he was 95 and sick, it was more or less expected. I have a different view on death than most people, I embrace it rather than fear it as most people do. I believe that death is a beginning rather than an end. I believe that with his death he may still reach out to people who had never been taught about him in their life because now it is news again, and ignorant people love gossip and the research that follows. I know I'm rambling, but my main point remains, don't condemn someone for their ignorance because it just makes you look like a tool.

SexiChula91 3

what sucks is I'm sure people will be buying a bunch of fast 6 movies and rish to see fast 7 and even donate to paul walkers charity. not tjat his charity isn't important too because its a wonderful clarity but south Africa is in great need aswell. but still both deaths are horrible. paul walkers is a bit more tragic because of the way it happened. bit mandela's is trajic because he did a lot for south Africa. ps sorry for my horrible post. I'm on a packed bus. so this is pretty rushed.

suckitstyles 11
wysegirl 24

What I find sad us we have children in the US living in poverty and all Americans care about is taking care of foreign children.

He has contributed significantly since 1994, when he became president, I don't know how old you are but that's not that long ago!

Yes, 54 and 66, I do condemn people for not knowing who Nelson Mandela is because he is a person of huge historical significance and also honor and courage, and because he is referenced in pop culture a lot actually, a lot more than other historical figures anyway. I would equally condemn them for not knowing who Gandhi is, even though he died more than half a century ago. I don't expect people to know a lot about them or expect them to know every historically significant person, but those two are pretty well-known in our society, so I would expect them to at least know who they are. If you are an adult and don't even know who they are, then you are probably a frivolous person who concerns themselves with frivolous things and not with things of importance, because I find it very unlikely that anyone actually hasn't heard about these people at least once. It's much more likely that you heard about them and didn't think them important enough to remember--and THAT makes you a tool.

You assume nobody donated because they didn't brag it out to the world and demand gratification? that's kinda rude on your behalf OP don't assume anything. You're also slightly young so it's not unexpected that people on your Facebook of your age are going to care moreabout a celebrity then a police activist ex prime minister who was nearly 100 years old.

Hey OP, these posts annoy me, mainly because they're not genuine but attention and like whoring which I think is very wrong to do with someone's death [the freeman posts not your's] I completely see why it pissed you off, it's so disrespectful, but then you annoyed me upon saying your "middle-class friends" which to me sounds like you think you are above them You may indeed be classed as upper class, I don't know, but it did sound like you were looking down on them either because in general you think you're superior or for donating either way, they are being dicks, but you chose them to be your friends and saying that sounded a bit stuck up if they're so beneath you [or just general douches] ditch them voted FYL anyways because I disagree with what they're doing

dead? good. old noob was gonna give up the ghost soon anyway.

How about donating to the wounded veterans who need it. And get next to nothing for volunteering and are homeless or have a home but have to choose between heat and food. And the poor children that have needs and food also? Not to try to take nothing from his death but hundreds die here that might not of if they could've got the help they and we need.

My younger sister came up to me with the same thing. She showed me a picture of Morgan Freeman and said 'dude, this guy, Nelson Mandela dies today' And when I looked at it, you should've seen my face because I wasn't sure if she meant Morgan or Nelson. But his death was a big loss for all of us.

I Think that the OP only added that detail so that people could see that they most likely got an education and that they would have more probabilities of knowing such a great historical character, although I'm just assuming that.

Oh and I was very disappointed in the distasteful jokes with pics of Morgan Freeman and RIP Nelson Mandela written above. Totally disrespectful to a brilliant man who sacrificed so much..

Kyuubi_Rose 11

I only realised who he was by face, I knew what he did but the name slipped my mind, I feel terrible but as long as people remember,he will remain in our hearts as a great man

Unfortunately, I don't think many people that Mandela and Morgan Freeman are two different people.

didnt they do that on american dad when stan got drunk at a party and called him Morgan Freeman. it was funny that time. but at a time like this no

I don't think ignorant, racist people know they are two different people. The rest of us know the difference very well.

It's too bad you all have such high opinions of a communist who's agenda did nothing but help separate SA, promote white killings and destroy the economy. It's good riddance not RiP

I agree with you entirely, to post those pictures the day after Mandelas death is in awful taste, it's such a disrespectful thing to do. I feel you with the Facebook crap, my newsfeed is still stuffed full of "RIP Paul Walker" crap

jazzy_123 20

I'm not going to lie, I didn't know who Nelson Mandela was until he passed away. I did see a picture of Morgan Freeman titled RIP Nelson Mandela and was extremely confused. Of course people always do things for likes, even of it means looking dumb (I'm not referring to OP)

fucMyLifeSoHard 18

116- My newsfeed was filled with those pictures literally 10 minutes after I heard the news.

I laughed so hard at the part about Morgan Freeman, oh lord.

Please, let me clarify. No disrespect to Nelson Mandela. He was one hell of a man, and at 95 he had one hell of a run. I saw the same Morgan Freeman posts on my news feed and couldn't help but chuckle at the ignorance of the people I've befriended over the years. Apologies to those of you that took my comment the wrong way, I'll try to be more sensitive/clear in the future. TL;DR Nelson Mandela will be missed, I meant no disrespect.

You don't have to apologize. If people take your comment the wrong way then it's their problem.

True, it's our problem if we take a comment wrong but I do appreciate 43 clearing things up. Wouldn't want to view him as an insensitive jerk because I wasn't sure where he was coming from or what he meant. (:

46- Or if he isn't clear about it, it's his problem.