By purebliss - 06/12/2013 00:43 - Australia - Rozelle

Today, upon hearing of the death of Nelson Mandela, I posted a link on Facebook to the South African children's hospital in his name and donated. I was completely ignored whilst my newsfeed became clogged by my middle-class friends with "RIP Nelson Mandela" and photos of Morgan Freeman. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 831
You deserved it 6 133

purebliss_fml tells us more.

OP here :) Some of you have taken this the wrong way so let me clarify - I was in NO way trying to garner 'likes' for donating to the Nelson Mandela Children's Hospital. I never even mentioned that I donated, I just posted the link and a little comment saying Please donate in honour of his memory. I assume no one donated because they didn't say anything and I just think it's a bit sad because even a couple of dollars goes a long way. Not many of my friends would have heard of the hospital either so I thought if I brought it to their attention they could donate and help the children in South Africa receive the care and treatment they desperately need. I believe it's a great way to honour Nelson Mandela's memory.

Top comments

People in my class today were talking about how Morgan Freeman was better than Mandela anyways because his voice was cooler. People these days can be awful.

Look on the bright side OP, half of those friends (the Morgan Freeman pics) will probably serve you sandwiches at Subway 20 years from now... I actually had a friend who posted "RIP MORGAN FREEMAN" on his Facebook. I called him out on that and the next thing I know most of his friends and family are deriding him for being an insensitive idiot. There is hope.

Comments

People in my class today were talking about how Morgan Freeman was better than Mandela anyways because his voice was cooler. People these days can be awful.

I guess they aren't a graduating class now are they?

\ 28

At least half the people I've spoken to don't even know who Nelson Mandela is. Damned society.

People at school were saying, "Wait, I know he was in jail for human rights, but what did he do again?" I told them he helped to end apartheid. "What's apartheid?"

incoherentrmblr 21

I'll be honest, 25. I didn't know about him till earlier this year when the media mentioned briefly on who he was and because of his illness. I then researched more about him, and I must say, he's quite the inspiration! For all of us!

So is it bad that I didn't find out about this until I came to FML? I watched the news after work and no mention of this. For ***** sake Paul Walkers death got more airtime than Mandela's did that's a ******* sad statement about Americas news networks.

I don't think it's a sad statement, though it was all over the news when I watched it. Nelson Mandela's death isn't a shock because he died a ripe old age. Paul Walker's death has more airtime because it came out of nowhere and wasn't expected.

That's when you educate them. At least now they'll know. Better to have you show them late than to never know at all.

Dodge4x4Ram 46

it happen an hour & half from me

RedPillSucks 31

@junkman6 Your comment is at 4am (not sure what time zone). In the US, the news didn't start mentioning his death until about 6am, although there were brief mentions of it yesterday. So the media isn't too bad.

Wow, practically on your doorstep then...

Well, Mandela's death was way more expected than Paul Walker's. Mandela was very sick for a long time; it was only a question of time before it encountered.

Right? I saw a photo of Mandela on instagram this morning, and someone commented,"Is that supposed to be Barack Obama and Morgan Freeman morphed together?" *Ignorance* not Ignance.

Mynameislinh 24

That's incredibly disappointing... Although, Nelson Mandela will forever be missed and you did such a sweet thing to honor him.

Look on the bright side OP, half of those friends (the Morgan Freeman pics) will probably serve you sandwiches at Subway 20 years from now... I actually had a friend who posted "RIP MORGAN FREEMAN" on his Facebook. I called him out on that and the next thing I know most of his friends and family are deriding him for being an insensitive idiot. There is hope.

I had a guy on my newsfeed who said that but he said it was a joke and tool the piss out of the girl who tried to correct him for being to stupid to get it. I don't think he was just saying that to save face either, I think it genuinely was a joke...not sure why it's funny though...

Maybe it was a joke because Morgan Freeman played the part of Nelson Mandela in the movie Invictus? And they do look strangely similar.

Okay, let's be clear - I do technically see why it's 'funny'. I get the connection. I just meant, I don't really find it funny myself. An important man died, I'd rather be respectful than make jokes. And they do look similar but not eerily so. They are just both older black males with grey hair.

you realize that some of those are jokes right?

well, It's not that you're a bad person, but you just did it for the likes it seems. at least you feel good yourself don't you? because if this ruined your day, you did it for the likes. Sorry but I think that's the thruth..

OP was saying nobody seems to truly care about what mattered about him and what he did, only his celebrity look alike. OP isn't sad that they personally were ignored, but that what a great man did was.

I'll have to agree with you. If a cause is dear to your heart you donate at any time. If you donate for something because some famous person died you're doing it for praise, glory or other selfish reasons.

I have to say I had the same feeling as #6 when I read the FML. But is the motive really important if OP donated anyway ?

gingaa96 18

I agree with 6. It really seems (to me) that this was done for the likes. If that's the case then OP is an attention *****. But if it's for Mandela's legacy then I'm ok with this.. Soooo OP can you clarify please?

If it takes Morgan Freeman for some folks to know about Nelson Mandela, it can't be all bad. At least they know about Mandela.

You donated to an amazing charity and paid your respects to an even more amazing man. Forget about those losers. YOU actually care and you have my respect for that.

it's unfortunate how much this doesn't surprise me...

If you're complaining about being ignored, you're paying your condolences for the wrong reasons. Do you want attention or do you really care about his cause?

This is how I read it as well. Simply because the "I was completely ignored," part. OP's friends DID still pay their respects to the deceased, but OP's post didn't get any response while their friends' did. Completely misguided intentions here.

I totally agree. Those who truly give of themselves care not about attention, they get satisfaction from serving a cause they believe in.

CrazyGirlfriend 21

I took it more as they felt bad because those people didnt even know they were sharing pics of freeman instead of the actual deceased and no one really cared what the man did.

You guys seemed to have missed the part where people were posting pictures of Morgan Freeman, mistaking him for Nelson Mandela.

I don't believe OP was upset about being ignored. I think they were more disappointed that this cause didn't receive support and, instead, incorrect and slightly insulting posts were more popular.