By me - 01/05/2011 16:31 - United States

Today, the tree that my neighbors have neglected to cut down fell on my car. They claim that by law, they aren't responsible and don't have to pay for it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 392
You deserved it 3 331

Same thing different taste

Top comments

TaylorTotsYumm 10

Get a crane to place the tree on top of their car.

plant a tree wait 30 years, then crush their house with it

Comments

find trees really near their house. hammer 10 - 15 copper nails into each one (kills the tree) and in a couple of months those trees might come down... no guaranteeing they'll fall on your neighbour's house... could hit yours... but you'd think one might get them! as I re-read this I'm not sure it's the best solution. maybe just call legal aid for a free chat before you employ a lawyer.

Ugh, probably boned on that one. The thing is it actually ISN'T the neighbour's fault unless their actions contributed to its falling....though you could possibly argue that it fell because of their negligence to remove it, which might be valid it the tree had been in such bad shape for a prolonged period that falling was inevitable. I dunno, legal consultation might yield something...

that how it works here if the tree is dead its the owner of the trees fault if it's alive it's not

Qeuar 0

Sue the tree, acquire profit.

they actually are required by law to pay for it, as the tree was their property

Not true. Its the car ins thats responsible. This just happened to me as the tree owner. I am voluntarily paying for the car's damage.

kinga08 0

Um, by law, anything that is on their property (such as the tree) is their responsibility. So if their failure to maintain the tree caused it to fall, I think they are 100% at fault and responsible for your repair costs/car replacement. I'm pretty sure if you get a lawyer or speak to your insurance company this can be clarified. FYL for having jackass neighbors.

Your comments are soo long. It bugs me.

It'd be nice if the law worked that way... but unless the city ordered it cut down & wasn't done on time, it's a natural disaster and your own problem. Plus, assuming the car was parked at their own house, the damage wasn't done on the neighbour's property, so again, no fault.

Not true. Its the car ins thats responsible. This just happened to me as the tree owner. I am voluntarily paying for the car's damage.

FFML_314 11
xstewie16x 0

just because taking a chainsaw to a tree on a car is smart...

imcheerish 0
danz123 7

Torch their house, since you're not responsible for doing it, the fire spread by itself. Danz123 is not responsible for any illogical or outright humorous advice that is followed.

caligurl28 0

Actually by law they are required to pay for the damage to your car. Depending on the value of the car you could take it to small claims court (up to $5000 I believe) or you could get a lawyer and sue them for more. If they are smart and have homeowners/renters insurance they could claim it on that and the insurance would pay for the damages to your car. I was once driving by someones house while they were mowing their lawn and a rock came out from under their lawmower and hit my windshield cracking it. They let their home owners insurance know and they cut me a check to get my wind sheild replace.

Not true in this case if it was by natural causes. Its the car ins thats responsible. This exact thing just happened to me as the tree owner. I am voluntarily paying for the car's damage.

throw eggs at their windows and blame kids (at Halloween ofc)