By FMZiggy - 29/11/2016 10:14 - Netherlands

Today, safety inspectors have deemed our basement unfit to serve as a bedroom due to a fire hazard. Our bed is now in the living room. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 117
You deserved it 993

FMZiggy tells us more.

Hey people, just to clear some things up, as is tradition: my girlfriend and I live in an apartment for students, within a house that has been divided into multiple apartments and studios. The municipality has recently decided to check all student housing, and before then it wasn't a problem to have the basement as our bedroom. Seeing as we are renting the place, we can't really make adjustments to it. They have also said that they would come check soon to see if we did as we've been ordered, so moving the bed back downstairs, apart from being a major hassle, is not an option. I don't disagree with them, as the basement does only have one exit, so we'd be screwed if there was a fire at night, but having the bed in the living room really sucks. We're currently looking for another apartment, hopefully we'll find something decent soon. #6 that got a laugh out of me. Or friends did use to call our bedroom the Sex Dungeon.

Top comments

"How are things between you and your partner?" "So hot our room has been legally condemned as a fire hazard!"

I would be moving my bed back as soon as their report was done

Comments

That's not too bad. Closer to kitchen and bathroom anyway. How do you have a basement but no bedroom?

where do you live that fire inspectors can tell you where you can and can't put your bed?

In a rented apartment. The owner is required by law to provide safe apartments to his/her renters...

Ah, ok. this makes a lot more sense now. So it's basically an efficiency apartment with a basement. sounds like the owner needs to add another exit of some kind to the basement.

The layout and the fact it's a monumental building don't permit any changes, so that's not an option.

Who gives a shit what they say. Do what you want.

Hey people, just to clear some things up, as is tradition: my girlfriend and I live in an apartment for students, within a house that has been divided into multiple apartments and studios. The municipality has recently decided to check all student housing, and before then it wasn't a problem to have the basement as our bedroom. Seeing as we are renting the place, we can't really make adjustments to it. They have also said that they would come check soon to see if we did as we've been ordered, so moving the bed back downstairs, apart from being a major hassle, is not an option. I don't disagree with them, as the basement does only have one exit, so we'd be screwed if there was a fire at night, but having the bed in the living room really sucks. We're currently looking for another apartment, hopefully we'll find something decent soon. #6 that got a laugh out of me. Or friends did use to call our bedroom the Sex Dungeon.

While you are searching for a new place, you could create a more private niche for your bed by putting book cases around or in front of it. That way it won't stick out as much in your living room.

Why you just don't buy one small bed for the living room and continue sleeping on the basement. When guys arrive to check, you will insist that you are sleeping in the living room, and the bed on basement is just too big to move it anywhere. Problem solved!

Wha wha what, why are you sleeping in the basement? Are the other rooms occupied?

It's a small apartment, and the basement was the only room apart from the living room/kitchen and the bathroom

You have to follow the fire code. Do you want to be trapped in a burning basement? The codes aren't made to be mean or arbitrary. They are made to protect you.

tounces7 27

Actually a lot of times they are pretty arbitrary. LOTS of people put bedrooms in the basement, with no ill effect, the only reason it's not allowed per code is because the windows are supposed to have a ladder to them to get out through in the event of a fire. Of course most people would just push a desk or dresser against the wall, and since you're in the basement anyway you'd have a little more time than usual - fire burns upward. I say this as someone who woke with my house on fire before, and someone who knows the fire codes.