By Anonymous - 13/09/2012 06:43 - United States - Woodinville

Today, my wife knows tattoos are a huge turnoff for me. She decided the best way to change my mind about them would be to get one. Across her neck. Of our dog's name. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 670
You deserved it 3 701

Same thing different taste

Comments

Just call her by the dogs name from now on. If you end up in the dog house due to it, won't matter, not like you want to have sex with her anyways.

So much for the traditional tramp stamp haha

tell her anal is a huge turn off. maybe she'll try to "cure you" of that to. it's a win-win!

Classy. Are you sure it's only the name of the dog?

That's disrespectful to you. She knows you don't like them why get one. She wouldn't appreciate if you did something like that. For example you got a motorcycle after clearly expressing she doesn't like them at all. Sorry OP.

Maybe because she doesnt belong to her husband and can do whatever she wants, like get a tattoo. The fact that you and everyone else finds that "disrespectful" to the OP is ridiculous. It's her body, not his.

Jenna, you clearly don't understand the concept of relationships. It's her body, yes, but from the moment you are in a serious relationship, you are obliged to think of and respect the wishes of the other person, even if it concerns your own body. And if there is a problem with your personal freedom (I want my hair coloured/a piercing through my ********/.../a tattoo of my dog's name on my neck, but my partner doesn't want it. At all.), you try to act like a grown-up about it and communicate. Try to make a compromise. But you never, never, never just do whatever you want, because that's plain selfish and disrespectful towards your partner. If you want to think of no one besides yourself, fine, enjoy your single life.

^Do we need to remind you that she got the tattoo just because he said he didn't like them?

Jenna, that's something you say when you are dating. But once you get married you should take into account what your other thinks and believes. It's only fair and respectful. To get something done that is permanent that is a turn off is wrong. She (if he stays with her) is forcing him to like tattoos. That's not fair to anyone, forcing them to like something. Especially when it is not even necessary. I don't know OP's relationship but it kinda sounds like mine. I've been dating my BF for two years. Ever since I was 10 I wanted a tattoo. But my boyfriend doesn't like them at all on woman. Out of respect and love for my boyfriend I'm not getting one because I wouldn't want him to get something I don't like. In relationships you make compromises it isn't always about you and what you think people should like. OP's wife did something selfish even if it is her body.

I'm going to politely disagree with you, #50. In almost all of my relationships I've been told to grow out my hair because short hair is a turn off. How is that right in any way possible? The fact that I'm in a relationship means I have to respect their wishes and compromise? No, it doesn't. They don't have to like it of course but in no way does it mean that I have to look like what they want me to look like.

Jenna you're right, and very few people are going to agree with you. It is her body, and she (as an adult) shouldn't be told what to do with it or put on it. If he has a problem with it, it is his problem. It's very funny to me how people always want to call the person doing something (the OP's GF) the "childish", "immature", or "disrespectful" one when clearly the other person (the OP) is trying to childishly and selfishly control the other. It's disrespectful of him to think (or demand as it seems) that she keep her body the way he wants it, in his "perfect" image.

#80, because nobody should pretend to be someone they're not and nobody has the right to tell you otherwise which is why my current relationship works so well. Of course there's things about each other that we don't like but there's no demands to look a certain way for each other's pleasure.

I think the word some people are using but most are missing is "compromise". There is a middle ground between "be totally subservient" and "do exactly what you want". Some issues will be more important to one person than another. Usually a least-worst position can be found. Everyone who says "it's her body" is obviously correct, but most people _choose_ to take account of the views of those they love. Maybe she could have agreed with him that she would start with something more subtle until the idea had a chance to "grow" on him etc. The are married after all. This is not just some guy she is dating but her life-partner (in theory at least). I choose not to grow a beard because my wife doesn't like beards. I don't really care and would probably do sometimes and not others if it was entirely down to me, but because she has a strong view on the issue I elect to follow that. If she really wanted a husband with no right arm, the outcome would be different because I'm rather attached to my arm (ba-dum tisch).

Sounds just like my girlfriend. I don't like tattoos on women, either. She knew this when we'd been dating for a bit over a year. She didn't have any tattoos at that point. Then magically one day she gets a stupid tattoo, because I "pissed her off". In all honesty the whole pissing her off thing was just an excuse. Now she's got seven of them. But God forbid, she throws a temper tantrum when I tell her I want to buy a certain hat or a studded bracelet. So I made it simple. I won't get my hat or bracelet just so I don't have to deal with the constant complaining and hissy fits. Not really fair to me, but oh well. Worse comes to worst, I can buy them and just not wear them around her. I mean, I can take off a hat or bracelet if it really bothers her, but she constantly loves wearing certain clothes around me to purposely show off her "ink". She said it's supposed to make me like them and that I need to get some tattoos. Never. I'd rather not do something to my body that I can't undo. It's really a shame that all of these pretty young ladies are running to the tattoo parlor the day they turn 18, sometimes sooner and getting a stupid tattoo that in a few years they don't like and then 99% of the time, they are stuck with. Don't get all offended, it's just my view.

Laurenlou 24

76- A tattoo is permanent, hair keeps growing. The compromise for this relationship would have been a design of something that OP and his wife liked, maybe on the small side, and in a place where it can be covered. Is that so unreasonable? I don't think so at all. For the guys you date to want you to grow your hair out, well, you could've grown it a little and said thats as long as it would get. Again, hair styles/cuts are not permanent. What OP's wife did WAS disrespectful. Maybe I'm old fashioned but it's better that way anyway.

The importance of marriage counseling BEFORE a marriage. It's amazing what "little things" could be deal breakers in a marriage.

I bet she porks the dog when you are not around. That is the only logical explanation I can think of to do something like that. That's nasty man. I feel bad for you.

merryhappy1887 20
tildoorf84 7

sounds like she is actually trying to push you away, cut her loose and laugh in her face for having such a stupid tatoo

seriously? divorce her for getting a tattoo? maybe she really is clueless and was sincerely trying to help him get over his dislike of tats. I hate how people throw around divorce these days like it's no big deal.

But the divorce wouldn't be because of the tattoo, the divorce would be because OP now feels like his wife doesn't respect him anymore. And respect is kinda important if a marriage wants to work.

excellent point. still a little drastic, I think they should definitely talk about things first before considering divorce

obviousboy 8

Neck tattoos are ******* classy bro.

Guess you can't do that position any more lol