By thenegatives - 09/10/2014 01:12 - United States - Mckeesport

Today, my son was smart enough to hack the school's computers to change his midterm, but isn't smart enough to actually keep his grades up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 699
You deserved it 4 331

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You might want to look into private school or advanced placement classes, or something along those lines. I'm sure this sounds presumptuous, and I'm sorry for that in advance, but it sounds like his current school situation isn't challenging him enough.

NiceGuysDoWin 21

I tend to agree with #1 on this one. I've known a lot of genius kids in my life. Most of them got horrible grades despite being smarter than anyone around them. A gifted program may be helpful in challenging your child and motivating them to do better.

Comments

hacking is illegal...and its time for you to have a serious talk with your son..at the same time you must make sure what he is interested in...your son your responsibility until he turns 18...

It's not that he isn't smart to keep it up, he is lazy. lack of discipline and or challenge. Trust me, if the material was someone that caught his interest he would have an A in class.

Out of interest, what is it he is struggling in? I don't know much about the US education system but I assume grades are split up as maths, physics, english, etc? Have you considered the possibility that your son may be on the autistic spectrum? I'm suggesting this as an alternative to what #1, and others, have suggested. But, people who have autism tend to become extremely good at particular subjects, but not as good at others. This is basically because autistic spectral disorders occasionally lead to obsession with particular things. For example, my friend could tell you anything you'd ever want to know about volcanoes. You could name a random volcano, and she'd be able to tell you everything from how old it is to when it's next due an eruption. But, she'd still be likely to fail most of her exams. How her autism affects her, is similar to how my dyslexia (an autistic spectral disorder) affects me. I never made the grades to get into University, but I managed to persuade the admissions board to let me in. I speak two languages fluently (basic conversational ability in a third), and left University with an honourary masters degree in History. Not saying that your son is autistic btw, but it's a real possibility. And it's quite common for autistic people to be really good with computers, as it's quite an arty and technical subject, which is usually what people with autism seem to go for. N.B. Before anyone points it out, I am aware that everyone is considered to be on the autistic spectrum somewhere.

the one thing that is bothering me about what you said is that dyslexia is an autistic spectral disorder. everything i have ever read over the years & right now after reading your comment, has never said dyslexia is an ASD. dyslexia is just something you MAY also be diagnosed with if you have ASD. the rest of it i completely agree with. ASD is a possibility, just like being bored because they need more of a challenge is.

I just simplified it for ease since it's on the autistic spectrum. It's not necessarily an ASD, but it can be (or so is my understanding). I probably am wrong about that to be fair, but it's my understanding that it can be an ASD. There can also be physical causes of dyslexia, such as non-serious issues (for example the way nerves are wired up in the brain) or serious issues (e.g. Brain damage). Going into the details of what dyslexia is and what causes it are unnecessary. I'm no expert though, just someone who has dyslexia lol.

Updating this since I wasn't sure. I asked my friend (has a psychology degree) if dyslexia is an ASD. Apparently it isn't actually an ASD, but often goes hand in hand with autism. So i'm not entirely wrong. I just misunderstood. The more you know...

Or he is too lazy to keep his grades up

#78 i never said you were entirely wrong. just that dyslexia was not ASD. its just a trait someone with ASD may have, as i said in my first comment. (:

besides computer skills are a HUGE bonus. if i were you I'd invest more in that so that he can feel comfortable going into the computer industry. the career options are endless

Is this the same guy from the other fml who everyone thinks is a teacher?

Work smarter not harder! Actually though, a lot of high IQ people do horrible in school because it doesn't meet the proper attention to capacity/capability ratio for grades to be something of value.

NodakN8V 25

He's going places ...maybe not college but places

Dallyni 22

It's not about being smart, probably laziness....

Talk to your sons school counselor with him. I used to have bad grades in classes because i rarely did homework but i would get good grades on my tests. My counselor told me about the PSEO program where the school will pay for you to go to college during your highschool years. My grades were much better after i had that motivation. I even went to summer school to make up for my bad grades.