By Anonymous - 13/08/2014 15:19 - United States - Wichita Falls

Spicy
Today, my professor told everyone that he thinks all med students should be required to get a catheter and an enema at least once in their lives so they can relate to their patients, saying, "Gentlemen, it might change your lives." FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 278
You deserved it 7 298

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Having experienced both and seeing how completely unsympathetic my doctors were to pain and discomfort I agree with him.

Comments

TahoeFMler 22

Police officers have to get tased and pepper sprayed in order to carry/use them.

dodzin 9

I am a med school prof too, and I say approximately the same thing to my bright, self opinionated, oblivious and arrogant students. Kudos to your prof!

ManicGypsy 22

The only time I've ever had a catheter, they already had me so doped up with pain meds that I laughed when the nurse was putting it in. She gave me a strange look and said that people usually don't laugh while getting them. True story!

Completely agree. Also probably true for some other procedures. Then they won't say ridiculous things about it not hurting.

Can we add nasogastric tube to the mix too? Those are beasts that makes your nose, sinuses and eyeballs hurt (slight exaggeration but they're unpleasant).

Police have to know how it feels like to be shot with their tazer, and their pepper spray...So how do you think they find this information out? That's right they get tazed, and pepper sprayed. So your prof. is pretty spot on. They want you to understand empathy. They want you to be able to understand what it's like the patient is going through...That way you actually treat the patient more kinder. It's all about understanding.

vlader08 13

thats how you get weird fetishes :/

BirdJet_fml 3

Exactly the point I was making as the OP. At least one peron got it.....

I completely agree with your professor, I had a catheter last month and the doctor didn't seem to give a shit about how painful of an experience it was and almost scoffed when I mentioned how more information before she shoved a tube in my dick would be helpful.

You should have requested a condom catheter!! Less painful

rn2014 6

As an RN I'd just like to see a doctor put in a catheter or do an enema. That's left to us nurses. The doctors just write the order.

So true and as a psw we have to clean them and take care of them I have had one and they are not fun. Atleast most men get condom catheters not ones shoved inside them