By Sen728 - 25/09/2014 02:10 - United States - East Haven

Today, my mom threw away a bag of tiny parts belonging to a $1,700 robot. Naturally, I figured this out at midnight and had to spend 30 minutes digging through three nasty trashcans overflowing with rotten food and spiders. The bag was dripping with what looked like cheese by the time I found it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 935
You deserved it 3 001

Sen728 tells us more.

Sen728 6

This is my first FML, so I'm actually really surprised that it got posted. I collect robots and the robot in question is a robotic dog called a Genibo SD which I was partially disassembling to replace its battery at the time. I had to go searching for the parts immediately since that night was trash night and if I had waited until morning, they would have been long gone. I did leave the bag sitting on a table where I had been working, but it was next to a bunch of screwdrivers so I didn't think it would be mistaken for trash (though I admit it was partially my fault for not moving the bag somewhere safer). I'm not upset with my mom, she's a great person and had no way of knowing that the parts were important. Aha, I obviously don't enjoy tearing through trash bags in the middle of the night, but it was definitely a better outcome than if the parts had been taken away by the dump truck.

Top comments

I hate it when parents throw things away without asking

At least you found it, good luck making the robot!

Comments

tony1891 22

you spent $1,700 on a robot? was it an r2d2 replica or something?

The robots built in high school class rooms can easily cost a few thousand dollars. Robots are extremely expensive.

She should be taken out back and shot. I hate when people just throw stuff away. End rant.

you are lucky you found it...its been 8 years I still could not find the things my mom throwed it away...

Maybe it's because it was 8 years ago, if your mom threw it away I doubt you'll find it. If she just put it somewhere and doesn't remember where, that's different, but seriously, 8 years ago, you're not very likely to find it

Tell her to not touch your stuff. Or was this a message she was trying to send.

My mom only did this once and fortunately it was a cheap part i needed. I told her "if I find anything of mine that i need in the trash can, some of the items from your cards drawer might join it" She got angry and told me to never throw away her stuff. I told her as long as she doesnt throw away my stuff that wont be a problem.

Sen728 6

This is my first FML, so I'm actually really surprised that it got posted. I collect robots and the robot in question is a robotic dog called a Genibo SD which I was partially disassembling to replace its battery at the time. I had to go searching for the parts immediately since that night was trash night and if I had waited until morning, they would have been long gone. I did leave the bag sitting on a table where I had been working, but it was next to a bunch of screwdrivers so I didn't think it would be mistaken for trash (though I admit it was partially my fault for not moving the bag somewhere safer). I'm not upset with my mom, she's a great person and had no way of knowing that the parts were important. Aha, I obviously don't enjoy tearing through trash bags in the middle of the night, but it was definitely a better outcome than if the parts had been taken away by the dump truck.

I think it's pretty cool that you collect robots. Anyhow, it's a lucky thing the parts were in a bag and I'm glad that there was a happy though smelly ending

As a fellow roboter I feel your pain! My team once had a part that wasn't tightened properly fall off while we were moving the robot. Someone who found it thought it was trash and threw it away. Can't remember the part but luckily we had extra.

Wow, well you know that won't be happening again!

Ladies and gentlemen, it seems we have a clairvoyant in our midst!

martin8337 35

Put stuff up and if it cost that much you deffo want to