By Anonymous - 06/01/2015 00:16 - United States - Oak Ridge

Today, my mom called me into the living room to say that she had something important to tell me. She then explained how she and my dad had "talked things over" and wanted me to know that they accept me and love me no matter what. Apparently my mom thinks I'm lesbian. I'm not. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 136
You deserved it 3 206

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You better tell them lickety-split that you're not actually a lesbian.

Comments

More like F the life of those who come from families where homosexual and/or bisexual relationships are not accepted. You should be proud that your parents are accepting and would support you if you were ever to become a lesbian.

My mom thought I was a lesbian, along with half of my grade

Well at least they're not homophobic...

It is nice that they would've accepted you, especially because some people who actually need to come out might not get that support. They would not have needed to wait for you to tell them and God bless them for it, but, what exactly made them think you are a lesbian? The only thing I could really think of is if they saw you kiss a girl. Anyways, at least you don't have homophobic parents.

Astrum14 24

Not OP, but sometimes people think I'm a lesbian because I have short hair, because I don't wear makeup, because I don't wear feminine clothes, and stuff like that. People have lots of ideas about what "lesbians" look like, and if you fit that mould, it doesn't matter if you're actually attracted to chicks or not, they still think you're a lesbian.

Or she may just hang out with other girls a lot. Half of my town used to believe my best friend and I (both straight women) were dating. The truth? All of our other friends were spending their Friday nights with their boyfriends and we two singles had the choice of either hanging out together or sitting home alone all night. So simple, and yet so easy to misinterpret.

I can see how that could work. Some people do have a stereotypical view of what someone with a certain sexuality or gender ID would make themselves appear as. But, I guess some people have gotten so used to that that they forget sexuality is a natural preference not personality trait.

Today, I found out my parents love me unconditionally, and then I complained about it. (fixed that for you)

I don't agree, they had to talk things over.. If you love him/her you don't need to talk..

Now why do you have to take it so negatively? The fact that OP's parents thinks she's a lesbian says 2 things: 1)Yes, they love her, and she's not complaining about being loved. She's not saying "omg my parents thought I was gay how stupid FML eww" 2) But, they have a certain stereotypical view of lesbians which OP happened to "fit". They could've been more subtle with their idea of her sexuality with talking about LGBT+ related issues and facts, which (if she was a lesbian) would've helped her come out. But seeing as she's not proves they were a bit ignorant.

actually... I would ride it out. cuz if they really think ur a lesbian they probly won't mind your bf coming over... Lol

Why'd they have to talk things over? It should be immediate acceptance! I'm sorry, OP. One time everyone at school thought I was a lesbian. With my best friend! Best of luck to you, and I hope they choose to listen to you.

At least you know they wouldn't disown you even if you were a lesbian.