By Anonymous - 14/04/2015 07:21 - United Kingdom - Nottingham

Today, my husband of 3 weeks told me he doesn't want to be married anymore because I suggested getting a joint bank account. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 815
You deserved it 4 436

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ADBurns 22

I bet you didn't 'bank' on that when you said "I Do"...

It might be time to talk to him if it's a trust issue . . . Sorry OP

Comments

Weren't u supposed to have this conversation before the marriage? what exactly did u guys talk and sort out before tying the knot?

Could be cultural, where I am from joint accounts is not a thing a couple has. Elsewhere it is pretty common.

Ummmm... Did you two talk at all before getting hitched? This should have been worked out loooong before.

ndnpride88 25

My wife and I got around that issue by just adding our names to each others account. She still has hers I still have mine. Only go into each other's account if necessary.

This is how me and my wife are. And we share a savings account. Works out great for when i'm busy and need her to do something with my account or vice verse. You get the independence and are still considered one.

Here is a useful tip for anyone else in OPs position... A joint bank account does not need to be where both of you put everything you have into one account. Instead, you can each maintain separate accounts, then have a third joint account that you each contribute what you want. It can be an even split or not.. you just both put in some recurring amount every month. This way you have a joint account for joint expenses and personal accounts for personal expenses. Then there is no accusation of "spending all of the other person's money".

Is marrying a 12 year old legal? Seems like you have one as a husband...

This is a little off-topic, but British (English) men seem to be callous and distant and hella cynical about emotional bonds in the family structure. Of course I'm going by FML mainly, but my cousins have some English hubbies and I don't like their vibes. I also see it on british sitcoms and shows. Could absolutely be a misconception and I don't mean to offend anyone.

Never get a joint bank account. In the event that you do speedster it's harder for courts to say who's who's and who deserves what and such. Plus having your accounts linked together can make it hard on your credit for both of you. That's one thing my mom told me that was actually useful from her experiences with 2 divorces to not get a joint account. Me and DH have been together 7 years and we still don't have one. Never even talked about one either.