By Anonymous - 14/04/2015 07:21 - United Kingdom - Nottingham

Today, my husband of 3 weeks told me he doesn't want to be married anymore because I suggested getting a joint bank account. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 815
You deserved it 4 436

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ADBurns 22

I bet you didn't 'bank' on that when you said "I Do"...

It might be time to talk to him if it's a trust issue . . . Sorry OP

Comments

I don't really blame him for not wanting a joint bank account. I've heard a few stories of people leaving the other person with basically nothing before divorcing them.

If they got married without prenup, the money belongs to both of them anyway, so that's not always a good reason...

bobsanction 18

Why do you need a joint bank account?

YDI. How did you get married without discussing finances?

How can a woman make a man a millionaire? He was already a billionaire.

well.. its kinda hard nut to crack. try to suggest him that the resent money issues starting to effect u with something that very similar to permanent head ache that might impede ur ability to function properly in bed.( hope it will make u laugh). on ceruse note if he didn't gave u very very good reason for that(and there might be) u should start thinking if maybe u rushed to this marriage just little bit to fast and u better start working on knowing each other hard

elizacandle 29

it might be early enough to get it annulled

i agree with him. my wife and i have seperate accounts because we have 2 different salaries and independant of each other. we discussed very early on how we pay for things (I take care of house repayment and she is on my company's medical aid, she buys food/household stuff, we both pay for our own cars/insurance). Works out pretty well. We have a joint savings account, but that's a 60 day notice and needs both our signatures. Just because you are married doesn't mean you're not independent anymore.

True. You need to discuss as a couple what the best option is. The important thing is communication. My husband and I share our money to pay for anything we need, my money is his and his is mine. That works for us. Open honest communication is always a good choice in any aspect of marriage.

brniedgrl24 3

That's something that should have maybe been discussed before marriage. You don't get married then start learning about the person

Definitely missed an important talk before the wedding. I find a joint account convenient, we just discuss big purchases before we make them. Having at least one joint account is a good idea to make moving money around 10x easier. More importantly than joint accounts is knowing a partners financial situation and sharing responsibility.

just because you're married now doesn't mean his stuff is now "ours". When will women realize that?