By EmptyGlass - 19/06/2014 20:04 - United States - Morehead

Today, my girlfriend saw my room for the first time and started yelling at me, calling me racist, white trash for having a Confederate flag hanging on my wall. It's a British flag. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 928
You deserved it 2 440

EmptyGlass tells us more.

This happened actually two weeks or so ago I don't visit this site much so I didn't have a account previously. But today I visited it and decided to post this sense that was a FML moment I had with her and thought it would be funny to share. I did explain to her what it really was but argued with me for about 10 minutes that it was really a Confederate flag until I had to go on the internet and show her that it was really a British flag. I ended it with this girl for...various reasons.

Top comments

A British flag in the United States? No wonder she was furious!

Comments

grgnyce 8

At least you know who's better educated!

incoherentrmblr 21

In the word of Kelso from That 70s Show, "Burn!!"...

Looks like you'll be flying at half mast.

So if I say someone is black, that makes me a racist?

This issue needs to be adressed now. Calling someone black isn't racist. I'm black myself, and it just makes a conversation awkward if someone goes calling me "African-American". Now while I can see why a confederate flag is racist, calling someone black or white isn't.

You guys forget that the Abraham Lincoln's goal was not to abolish slavery. He said that himself. You can find quotes on the matter. He used the abolishment of slavery to cripple the south's workforce and numbers. The north ended up being the side that was seen as "against slavery" but, Many people in the north owned slaves up until that point. Now from the south's perspective, they were having a way of life that they had known for over a century stripped away. They didn't see slavery as wrong because it was so commonplace at the time. It still fascinates me how argumentative people are, and especially when it comes to subjects like this. You sympathizing and pulling the race card is WHY racism is still a problem, if you people let others have their own opinions instead of getting defensive over comments that have no relation to you at all, especially in the way of skin color to make yourself look better, racist words and comments would hold no power over the ones they are aimed at. And you acknowledging the difference in skin color by calling someone out as racist or otherwise, only feeds their hate. Now if anyone needs a more in depth history lesson I suggest finding any 9th grader around today and borrowing their book.

steve727 2

You obviously didn't see the other post

rocker_chick23 27

Apparently a lot of people confuse the two. I didn't even know that was possible.