By well then - 30/05/2015 05:40 - United States - Forest Park

Today, my girlfriend randomly confessed to basically having a "phobia" of monogamy. But don't worry, she defensively assured me she's never ever cheated on me, even though I never said she had, so I guess that's okay then. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 786
You deserved it 2 458

Same thing different taste

Top comments

When I first read this I thought it said mahogany. Lol

She must live in constant panicky fear if she has a phobia of monogamy and yet claims to have been monogamous. Yeah, right. Smells fishy to me.

Comments

Seems suspicious...but hey! the more the merrier. ;3

That is something to be suspicious of.

MdMan2 23

Sounds real suspicious… You should ask her about that.

then just get another girl in the relationship so its not monogamy anymore

OPs gf needs to be bi so this could work out. I don't think she is phobic of him being monogamous...

well if this wasnt the biggest contradiction ever.

I'm a person in a polyamorous relationship and I think I have something important to say. I definitely understand your concern. What I want to express is that, as somebody who lives this lifestyle daily, I think I understand hers, too. I know some people who feel poly like me, but then have ended up in relationships that were monogamous. They decide that they're not going to see other people in secret, because being poly and cheating on people you care about are NOT the same thing. And of course, if things don't work out, they can end the relationship respectfully and go back to something that they're more familiar with. But if the relationship DOES work out, and they really believe there's a future in it, then discussing their feelings with their partner is very important. And when that moment comes around, you're always terrified that your partner is going to see you as a filthy ****, as a cheater, and then you're going to lose this relationship that has become so important to you, that it feels MORE important than the lifestyle of being poly. Talk to your girlfriend, OP, but I urge you strongly to consider that she might be telling you the whole truth because she believes very strongly in her future with you.

This is just a curious question: why even start a monogamous relationship then if you know you are poly? Don't you sit down and talk about it before getting into a serious relationship with someone who is only monogamous? If you don't do that, doesn't that lead to some major complications later on? Again, this is just curiosity since I've heard some stories about issues like this arising in a monogamous relationship.

Your comment unfortunately won't get enough up votes. I don't believe in poly myself, but I'm not against it out of ignorance. However most people will have a problem with what u wrote because of there being a lot of social programming via religious and other means over thousands of years that say monogamy is the right way, and as Mama once said, "polygamy is the devil, bobby." - The Waterboy Hopefully I am wrong and u get more likes.

Society has taught us a very linear type of happiness, namely monogamy, resulting in a "my way or the highway" view from all those who conform to the view. While I personally don't practice polygamy (or anything really at this point, I'm 15), happiness isn't a linear arrangement, and means different things to everyone. The fact that she told you, (assuming she was poly), means that she does most likely want to be in a monogamous relationship with you. Also, think about it; would you take the time inform someone of cheating if you were actually cheating? Seems a little bit of a stupid thing to do. Although I am quite curious how relationships between monogamous and polygamous people start...

I'm so glad someone who is poly gave a balanced answer. It's insane how many people can't comprehend it takes a lot of communication to be healthily and happily poly and it isn't just an "excuse to cheat" or whatever. So many comments have automatically jumped to she's a cheater but my first thought (although I'm not poly) was that she might be testing the water to see where the OP stands on a poly or open relationship. Also #23 - people often doesn't realise they are poly until they're exposed to someone else who is cause we've been taught as a society one partner only is the way to be "normal" so people try to fit with that even if it's not their nature.

People also get into relationships with people that smoke when they don't like smoking, or ride motorcycles when they think riding motorcycles is dangerous. Basically, while you know it will cause complications later, the whole point of dating somebody is to assess how much your life would change if you made a serious commitment to them--both in positive things that you wouldn't have otherwise, and negative things you might have had otherwise but you have to give up. A coworker of mine is actually going through this right now, when we go downstairs for smoke breaks she talks about how crazy it feels to her that, in this relationship, she actually feels like it's worth telling all her playmates that she's not available for fun anymore. For people who haven't lived around the lifestyle, it 'feels' very different than secretly loving Disney World when you know your boyfriend is creeped the **** out by people in mascot suits. But in practice, it turns out to be no different than most other things that can be compatible or incompatible in a relationship, and as such people will sometimes decide, "We need to reconcile this difference between us so we can continue being together".

Trust her? I mean you have no proof but she could be lying between her teeth...my bet is on the later though

Trust her? She said she's afraid to being only committed to him. If that's not a warning I don't know what is.

Maybe what she means is that she has a fear of commitment? It doesn't necessarily mean she's cheating just that the long term thought scares her. Definitely grounds for some counseling depending on your relationship and how you feel. So family story time: My dad was in the military once and got offered an officer's positron but turned it down on the grounds that he never wanted a job again where he couldn't tell his boss to shove it. Got out and got a factory job. Retired from that job 35 years later. When asked how he lasted that long he told me that knowing the option was there to walk out was what made staying possible.

Well, this obviously won't work! You definitely don't have the same relationship standards/goals so I'd say it's best to just end it now. But on the other hand, if she is trying to say that she has this "phobia" of monogamy and is trying to work through it and do that with you, then it's up to you if you think that there's a fair chance it can work. I'd also be worried that she was so vehement to say that she hasn't cheated but that just from my own past experiences though...

Aside from all that stuff here, just dump her. It won't end well.