By chillyinside - 10/02/2013 05:03 - Canada

Today, my furnace broke down, almost a month after its twenty year warranty expired. It would have been replaced for free. Now I'm going to have to take out a loan to afford the $4,000 replacement. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 554
You deserved it 2 713

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

Guys, they actually perform detailed calculations to set the warranty period accordingly, so that they would not have to pay too many compensations. Statistics is a bitch.

TheyCallMeDamien 17

Whoever made that warranty knew what he was doing.

sleepinginclass 8

Of course they did. It's their job.

ulissey_fml 22

You traded your furnace for ice in the hall...oh, for an ace in the hole!

Epikouros 31

So you had 20 years to save money for a new furnace and you didn't? YDI.

Our furnace was installed in 1946. It still works, though we've switched to electric baseboard heating. We still heat our water by propane, so in a power outage, we just have to clear the plastic out of the furnace grate, and hook it up to the propane. That's almost 70 years that the furnace has been working. We test it every year to make sure it works, so far? It's never broken down, only needed to be cleaned a few times. It's not uncommon to expect a furnace to last longer than it's life. Not having any emergency money as a homeowner is a bad idea, that's definitely true, but not paying exact attention to when your furnace's warranty is going to expire is pretty normal. I'll wager this was only discovered after the furnace broke down.

Maybe when you ask nicely they'll repair it for free. In Europe you could demand something like that. It's not lime you should expect something to break any day from the day the warranty is over.

Annienc 5

Same here! I'm sitting with an electric blanket!

perdix 29

Are you sure you read your warranty right? Most long-term warranties give you only "pro-rated" coverage, so if your furnace broke in year 19, you'd only get 1/20 the price.

Was going to say get 8 more cobblestone and build another then I realised we were in the real world :(

it's hard to make a joke about a broken furnace