By fatty - 23/09/2009 06:47 - United States

Today, my fitness trainer husband told me that if I could not make the commitment to stay thin, he could not make the commitment to stay with me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 386
You deserved it 15 689

Same thing different taste

Top comments

doggie3 0

Awwwww. I struggle with weight issues too, so I feel for you, but that is not cool of your husband. Tons of people are gonna be on here telling you to " divorce his ass" but don't.

Jokes aside, my advice would be this: Talk to your doctor. See if you are at an acceptable weight, or whether your health is/is going to suffer for your weight. If you are healthy, divorce. Your husband is just a shallow asshole. If you are not or are borderline, try to lose the weight. He has your health in mind when he says those things.

Comments

YDI, you married someone who values health and fitness, to a point where he made it his career. You should not be surprised.

I am positively disgusted by all the people saying "well ydi for getting fat!" or "I bet you let yourself go after you got married!". Obviously none of you have a brain. We have NO clue how fat or not fat the OP is, and the story does not really contribute in any way as to give a hint. EITHER WAY there is absolutely no reason for her husband to say such things! Have any of you actually read marriage vows? In sickness in health, in bad times and in good? ETC ETC??? Nobody ever takes those seriously anymore or gives any thought to them. If they did....they would realize marriage is about so much more then how your partner looks. My guy is on the bigger side but I LOVE him so much because he us supportive of me and compliments my life in a way no one else ever has. That is what matters! Anyone who says otherwise is materialistic and narrow-minded, not to mention immature and obviously not ready for a serious relationship.

You should divorce your husband. He'd post it on here, and we'll all say "YDI, fatty".

If you don't respect yourself, why should anyone respect you?

muffinsareyummy 1
Bullshet 0

**** all of you saying that she's somehow being unfair to him. You obviously have a very warped idea of what marriage is, which is exactly what is contributing to the high divorce rate in this country. You're supposed to have unconditional love for the one you marry, no matter how they look, because looks can change. If you're ready to leave someone because they happen to be struggling in life right now and end up gaining a few pounds, then you are a very shallow person and are obviously not ready for relationships. It's cool to be concerned about your SO's health, but to threaten to leave them because they're suddenly not as perfect as they were when you met them is a very dickish thing to do. OP, you should lose weight on YOUR terms, not his. Not to mention he should be very supportive of you even if you do lapse sometimes. And when I say supportive, I don't mean threatening to leave you if you don't reach the goals that he has set. As a personal trainer, he should understand this. If he doesn't, he's a shitty personal trainer and husband.

Maybe its not about looks, but about how she thinks about herself. Its pretty easy to just give up taking care of yourself in a longterm relationship since you take it for granted. Your right that he should be supportive of course, we lack the context to know if he is or isn't.

u should just leave that jerk if he doesn't love your inner self no one should have to deal with him and all you guys that say ydi u need to gth b/c no one should have to lose a marrige b/c of weight probs

trakus 0

THANK YOU....words of wisdom right here.

tomakobriefs 11

On the one hand, it sucks that he's shallow enough to say that. On the other hand, staying thin probably means you're healthier than someone carrying around all kinds of extra weight, so in that regard perhaps he's thinking of your wellbeing. Also, he's a fitness trainer. It's what he does. He makes people fit and healthy all day. If his own beloved wife can't even try to take care of herself, it makes the work day seem pointless. Think of it as a 5 star chef married to an anorexic person. Or a doctor married to a hypochondriac. A fireman married to a pyromaniac. Whatever. It's not something you want to come home to.

YDI, stay fit, you're husband is a fitness trainer, i'm pretty sure he can tell you to stay thin, wouldn't that make sense? too much sense i guess lol.

if your fitness trainer husband is willing to train you to keep you thin, then i don't see the problem. considering his profession, he clearly takes health very seriously, something you should have been aware of before you married him. and any marriage takes work. sometimes that work involves getting on a treadmill.

everydayisFML 0

I think its perfectly fair. I always feel so bad when i see men walking around in public with fat, sloppy looking women when i bet they did not look like that before they were married. Or the women who completely let themselves go after having kids and blame their steady mcdonalds diet on "baby weight". This is bullshit.. all the women in my family gained a ton of weight from babies, but worked their asses off in the gym afterwards and lost it all again. Marriage takes effort and compromise from both sides. He gave the rest of his life to you... you need to make sure you keep yourself worth it to him when he could probably go after all the young, skinny girls he trains at the gym. I think its admirable he is giving you a heads up when in most situations like this the husband would just keep his mouth shut and cheat.