By Anonymous - 27/07/2012 21:23 - Romania - Bucharest

Today, my fiancée's OCD hit a new low when she screamed at me for flicking the light-switch off "the wrong way". This led to her flicking it on and off about a dozen times, followed by a twenty-minute lecture on how to do it "properly". We're getting married next month. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 131
You deserved it 9 047

Same thing different taste

Top comments

perdix 29

Make sure you request lots and lots of light bulbs on your wedding registry!

Comments

Harlequin073 6

Yikes! Run away while you can!

So stop the wedding. This is your fault for staying - marriage doesn't make things better.

imavelociraptor 6

I had OCD and it really is terrifying when people do things like that. Its the whole mentality that something horrible is going to happen if you dont do it the exact way. The only safe way to undo it is to do it correctly multiple times. I got medication and my OCD has gotten a million times better. I hope your fiancee is okay.

She has an illness. You knew this. Marry her or don't, but you'll need to embrace and accept the way she is.

if you can't do it right and she can't do it after a dozen times does it really matter?

If you love her you shouldnt let this effect your decision to marry her. However OCD is sometimes really serious and needs professional help. Consider talking to her about getting treatment

If you actually love her that means you will accept her in-spite of her faults, OCD is something she can't control and yeah she may do stuff that will drive you insane, trust me it drives her just as insane knowing she has to do it without being able to control it, so just be there for her mate.

jayfreeman80 0

It's your choice to marry her or not. You know she has OCD so what are you complaining about? YDI

Ins0mau 20

People choose to have kids. They can still complain about them.

Her OCD has probably been exacerbated by stress from the wedding planning. The next day, talk to her. Tell her that you know she is stressed, and that you want to help. Tell her that you know she wouldn't ordinarily talk to you like that; chances are that she'll feel embarrassed and upset that she hurt you, but she'll understand where you are coming from. Help her make wedding favors and other last-minute planning and/or help her make a plan to call her bridesmaids for help. Get details for the honeymoon nailed down. Once she has less to be stressed about, help her unwind. Massage her. Take her out to dinner or to a play. Remember that you're getting married. You're her partner. You're going to have to learn to help her manage her OCD, just like she helps you with your problems.