By Soninuva - 25/12/2015 03:37 - United States - Mcallen

Today, my family and I were going to my grandparents' for Christmas. As my car was totaled recently, I had to get a ride with them. They left without me in the time it took to put my shoes and socks on. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 912
You deserved it 1 740

Soninuva tells us more.

OP here. It wasn't a mistake, I was getting ready and they said they were leaving. I told them to wait, and they said they wouldn't, as they were already late. Ordinarily I am very punctual, to the point of being early everywhere. I wasn't that day, because the time had been moved, and nobody told me. Originally it was going to be at 6:00 pm, and they moved it to 3:00 pm. They didn't wake me until 2, and didn't tell me that it had been changed until they were saying to hurry up a few minutes before. I was asleep because in addition to being a substitute, I work at Toys R Us, so even though I'm off for one job, the other is stronger than ever. The days leading up to it I had worked two fifteen hour days, then the night before an eight hour one, where I got out around 1:30 am. My dad came back after 15 minutes, so it ended up working out alright, but I was mad as hell.

Top comments

It's great that they returned eventually, but so messed up that they left so hurriedly in the first place, knowing what you went through earlier! I hope the time spent at your grandparents was great, and I hope your Christmas went well!?

Comments

OP, you certainly had a right to be upset after being treated so shabbily! :-( Did your grandparents ever explain themselves/ apologize later or are they never wrong (like some of my next-door neighbors)?

My grandparents weren't the problem, it was my parents. They eventually did. I didn't say anything to anyone though, as my grandfather has struggled with depression and anxiety recently, and I know that it would just put a strain on him if he knew.

op you were the most thoughtful and caring person in that situation, and for that I humbly applaud you. I hope the rest of your day was better and you had a merry Christmas.

I second #24. Thanks for being such a caring person!

FYL, UNLESS!! You're the type of person that says "I'm ready," then takes 20 minutes to put their shoes and socks on, and grab the eight things they forgot. If you're that one guy, YDI.

Who puts their shoes on before their socks!

TomeDr 24

Not sure where you're from but in the USA, "shoes and socks" is the common way to say it. It doesn't mean that the shoes go on first.

Where? I says socks and shoes and I'm from Arkansas. If I know it's socks before shoes, everyone should.

I'm not sure what part of America you're from, but here in Narnia we say "stockings and jackboots."

I've lived in NJ, NY, MD, FL, PA and HI. I have visited family repeatedly in TX, MA & WA. For business I have also had to travel to with extended stays in GA, TX & DC. I've lived, vacationed or traveled through 47 of 50 states and I have never encountered anybody who said "socks and shoes" ... "shoes & sox" has been the accepted standard expression. It's a big country with a LOT of unique regional ways of speaking but I have never heard or seen the expression "socks and shoes". Before today. It's not like I've ever asked people to answer a survey or conducted scientific research but ... hey everyone on FML post a quick reply with how you say it and if you live or lived in the US tell us what State you lived in.

Garner's Modern English Usage 2016 Page 1009 ...a narrow term whose meaning is embraced within a broad ... The command put on your shoes and socks, though literally absurd, is meant to put the emphasis on shoes over socks.

Maybe they left because you put your shoes on before your socks. I would have left too.

this would be even more funny if your name was kevin

itwasntme14 19

At least he didn't booby trap the house in the 15 minutes it took for his dad to come back and get him.

You must take a long time to put shoes and socks on

I hate tht shit so much. For some off reason it takes half an eternity to put shoes and socks on