By DeathbyWording - 29/04/2016 17:05 - United States - Vernon

Today, my doctor said I "might" have an enlarged heart and an irregular heartbeat. It "could" be seriously life-threatening and I "should" go to a specialist for further tests. My insurance refuses to cover my consultation with the specialist because the doctor's wording is too uncertain. FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 433
You deserved it 1 289

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Try going in to see another doctor, a second opinion would be good in this situation anyway.

Comments

Ask your doctor to atleast give you an ekg. Once that is done and shows any abnormality, your insurance can't back out for whatever reason. An uncertain/irregular ekg should lead to a cardiologist. The past two days i found skipped beats and irregularities on my patients too, my doctor gave them an order for an ekg as an outpatient and then referred them to a cardiologist. And contact your pcp to make sure he knows your insurance is fooling around, he can word it in a way where they'll have no choice but to go ahead and pay for your specialist visit. Med student myself.

You either need a further testing or a new doctor.

Your doctor "shouuuuld" get you another prescription then though

Actually what you're talking about is called a referral. Basically you're being referred to someone in a more specialized field…which is what the OP's Doctor did. The doc said that OP SHOULD go see a specialist. Now depending on whether the Doctor wrote this down on a prescription pad or not…this could or could not be considered a referral (don't you just love the bureaucracy?), and that too would be a matter decided by OP's insurance company…

Isa_fml 20

How do the insurance people expect the doctor to word it? They don't know yet, that's why you need the damn tests. How do they think this works? Jesus. I'm sorry this is happening to you, I hope it gets sorted out.

FalloutScrolls 25

You "might" want to seek out another "doctor" for a second "opinion," "perhaps."

You clearly didn't read this through properly……so OP's Doctor basically said "idk, you might have any of these 3 things…but I can't say for sure; you should see a specialist" Idk how much clearer it could be that the doctor is saying "we need a second opinion". Also it's that second opinion that the insurance doesn't want to pay for, because the doctor was so uncertain.

Maybe ask your doctor to correct the wording on the report.

Anectodal but my dad has had an enlarged heart all his life. He only recently had issues at 60. I would go back to the doctor and ask him to reword it so insurance would cover it. Heart problems are nothing that you should take lightly.

Why not let him know of your situation? I'm sure he'd be willing to clarify your condition to your provider.