Healthcare for all, now

By Anonymous - 27/05/2022 02:00

Today, I had a procedure that should have been covered by my health insurance, but while I was there, I asked the doc to sign a prescription for an unrelated thing. This apparently turned the insured procedure into a consultation, so they charged me full price for the procedure, over $15,000. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 208
You deserved it 205

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Call your insurance company this has to be a mistake of some kind. Then call your doctor or hospital (whoever billed you) and ask them to resubmit the claim. The US healthcare system is very bad in how it deals with costs and billing, but this is really awful! Remember the idiot politicians who said that “Americans like their private insurance companies” that is total BS!

Sorry, that sounds like bullshit. Raise hell with those insurance goons and you'll be ok.

Comments

Call your insurance company this has to be a mistake of some kind. Then call your doctor or hospital (whoever billed you) and ask them to resubmit the claim. The US healthcare system is very bad in how it deals with costs and billing, but this is really awful! Remember the idiot politicians who said that “Americans like their private insurance companies” that is total BS!

Sorry, that sounds like bullshit. Raise hell with those insurance goons and you'll be ok.

bioloss 10

I know this is serious advice because this is you’re only comment without 500 replies to how mean you are.

oh hell no!!! I had the same problem and quite a bit of time on the phone between billing dept and the clinic. it was the clinic's fault, they entered the wrong billing code saying there was no work order from doc (there was-i remember giving it to them). they wouldn't admit they f****d up, yet they still fixed it and changed the code. it was a lot less $$$ than yours, but it was the principle of the matter. so talk to the docs office and hopefully that's the issue and can be fixed. good luck.

If you can't clear this up with the insurance company directly, ask your doctor to get involved. She or he will most likely delegate the task, but contrary to popular opinion, they actually do care about patients getting screwed over by insurance companies, and most of them do spend a non-trivial amount of time working with insurance companies to do things like get more pills per prescription covered than is normally covered, explaining why a normally optional procedure is mandatory, and so on. I think you should start out by talking to the insurance company directly, but if you don't make progress, don't hesitate to reach out to your doctor. If the doctor is not helpful, and if the appointment was in a hospital, search the hospital directory to see if they have an Ombudsman; if they do, that person's full time job is making things like this right. You really shouldn't need to pay this, not just morally/ethically, but also because there are supposed to be procedures/mechanisms in place to correct injustices like this. Good luck!

Call the clinic. If nothing else have them resubmit this as a separate procedure and a separate consultation. As someone mentioned, it's probably a coding issue on their part when they entered the code for billing. You can reach out to your insurance as well, but they'll probably push back that they need properly filled out claims from the clinic.