By notawizard - 16/07/2009 10:16 - Spain

Today, my daughter turned 11. Since she LOVES Harry Potter, I decided to write her an acceptance letter to Hogwarts. When she saw the letter, she screamed and showed me. When she found out I wrote it, she told me she hated me, started crying, and stepped on my foot. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 338
You deserved it 95 108

Same thing different taste

Top comments

pedegg 0

Okay, everyone seems to be forgetting that eleven year olds ARE idiots. Even if they know the book is fiction, they still WANT it to be real- and if the outside world gives them a glimpse of hope that maybe it's more than fiction, they WILL believe it because they WANT it to be real. I waited for my Hogwarts letter when I was turning eleven. I didn't really think I'd get one, and when I didn't I wasn't crushed, but if I HAD gotten one I'd probably have shit myself. This mother obviously has never been obsessed with something like 11 year olds can be with this book series. That, or she's just a bitch. She should have known better than to have made the poor kid think she was going off to live in a magical world and then taken it away. That's horrible. Just take her to see the damn movie.

mynameisnotjudie 0

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!?!?!?!?! Ugg I can't even begin to tell you how terrible that is. The poor little girl! An eleven year old really has no way of knowing that was fake because the excitement blinds them ;- )

Comments

YDI for being mean enough to tease our daughter like that

Why would you write that? What were you expecting? Either she belives it and is disappointed, or doesn't and thinks it's dumb. YDI

Exactly ! It's a nice gift for a real fan, but for her birthday, something a bit more shiny/usefull/funny/expensive (either one) would have fit better. Kids to homemade letter for tjeir parents on their birthday, but this doesn't work the otherway !

Ydi your daughter is a stupid ass and Harry Potter is for bitches

iambatman123 0

How can so many people say YDI? An 11 year old should know better. That's what? 5th, 6th grade? You people are assholes.

Aw, sorry to hear your nice gesture was taken too seriously and it blew up in your face. If I had a parent who was that creative and involved in something I'm interested in enough to a. even thin of making a letter, b. make one that's that convincing---I'd be thrilled. Don't beat yourself up that it ended up being a little too convincing. Maybe next time, you ever do decide to do something for your daughter like this again, maybe sort of let her know beforehand that you made it for her. I don't think the explanation would lessen the wow factor of the gesture. And don't take her reaction too seriously, that's around a tricky age--especially for girls--and emotions run wild. So, don't worry your daughter doesn't hate you, you've just got a pre-teen. Not sure if that makes it any better, but at least you know she most likely didn't mean it.

Its a nice gesture an 11 year old should know the difference and its nice to see parents still take an interest in their kids :)

I am a true Harry Potter fan and when I turned 11 I waited for an owl to come drop off my Hogwarts letter. Even though I KNEW that it wasn't going to come becaus Harry Potter is not real. HOWEVER it would have been AMAZING if my mom had done that for me. Your daughter is lucky that you did that for her. I would've framed it!

jeffracecar24 0

your daughter thinks that hogwarts exists????

I'm 40 and I'm still waiting for the train to take me to Hogwarts......

olisykes_ 0

Oh dear. That's just a wee bit sad.

YDI. Hogwarts is real. Now you made your kid feel like crap for being a Squib.

GabriLee 0

Wrong. A squib would have to have magic parents and fail at being magic. She would just be a regular muggle.