By Izamellayella - 15/11/2011 01:29 - United States

Today, my date threw a fit, burst into tears, and made a huge scene in the middle of a crowded restaurant, all because I offered to pay. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 943
You deserved it 3 125

Izamellayella tells us more.

I just now realized that this was posted, and, yes, I do realize that it was more than two months ago. He was actually my friend's old roommate, and she introduced us around a year ago. We didn't really interact that much but I thought that he was nice, so when he asked me out, I decided that I'd at least give him a chance. For the record, it wasn't some elaborate ultra-expensive fancy restaurant, but the meal certainly wasn't cheap. I've been in the habit of offering to pay for my meals for a while now, and I certainly wasn't expecting that kind of reaction for him. And no, I don't think that the guy paying for the date is sexist. I don't see why the girl can't pay sometimes, though, and I was just trying to be nice. If he'd wanted to pay, he could have told me instead of freaking out like that. He never called me back after that, but even if he did, I wouldn't have gone on another date with him. I enjoyed reading your comments! Most of you guys are really funny.

Top comments

Angelice_fml 0

Good for you for offering to pay. You obviously deserve better though.

Comments

kismentia 10

In a related story, the 1950s were killed today when a woman (you know, those dusting, cooking, child-bearing things that leak milk) offered to pay for dinner. Equal rights bear equal responsibilities. Op's offer was laudable, and FHL for the boyfriend's immature response.

G0v3nat0r 7

If you think that is FML worthy then wow, yeah he didnt need to make a whole scene about it, but you should be happy he is being a gentleman and trying to pay for you

Dude even if he wanted to pay so bad he didn't have to break into tears.

Women just don't ******* know what they want. Couple weeks ago there was a secret about paying the bill on a date and most of the women jumped in how it was proper that he pays (always,in a date the men should always pay, because that's how it's done and it's only "right", not me, them) and now all this talk about how it's sexist? I get the impression you just agree with what the women did in a fail and don't give a **** abput the issue anyway.

Hmm women bitch about not seeing any chivalry but once its shown they call it sexist...hmmmmmm

Feedmyaddiction5 14

Wow, I wouldn't go on another date with this guy

Not that throwing a fit and bursting into tears in public is an innately feminine thing to do or anything ...but it sounds like this guy has some gender role insecurities i.e. 'girly' behavior leads him to overcompensate by insisting on his 'manliness' by paying the bill...or something? What I really hate though is people who fight about it to the point of shoving their cash or cards at the waiting staff or putting money in peoples bags or pockets or whatever. Its awkward and embarrassing for anyone who sees that shit. Just stop it. It happens when girls go out for lunch together or when 2 families go out for dinner together and the 2 Dads fight about who's paying for the other family's dinner and I'm sure it sometimes happens on dates too. Anyone ever does this to me I usually accept the money, or let them pay to save the embarrassment of having fisticuffs over it.

Its like saying I like the idea of you as my bf but I don't like your personality