By Anonymous - 07/09/2009 22:08 - United States

Today, my boyfriend of 4 years proposed to me. I said yes and he gave me an engagement ring. He immediately went to call his mom to tell her the happy news. After the phone call, he asked if he could return the ring because his mom needed money. FML
I agree, your life sucks 57 485
You deserved it 3 866

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Oi. That sucks. But hey, it's okay. It's just a ring. It's not like he took back his proposal.

Comments

This is nauseating. I hope you didn't give it to him and told her to go to hell.

Jincos 0

YDI for dating a man knowing his mom is in debt.

Jeremyy_fml 0

FML is dumb. I've posted a fml way worse than this shitty one and it doesn't even get published. stupid ******* moderators.

For a moment, lets give the mother the benefit of the doubt and say that it was the son's idea to hock the ring, not his mothers. If so, this is indicative of a SERIOUS lack of commitment on the part of the son to even consider hocking his fiancees ring. That ring is a symbol of a lifetime commitment, not just a piece of bling. Was there really no other option? If it was the mother's idea to hock the ring, then she's a ******* bitch. No matter what her situation of need may be, it should not fall upon her future daughter in law to give up her engagement ring to fix MILs finances. Not all sacrifices can be justified. And in any case, when someone calls with news of their engagement, it is never appropriate to steal their thunder with your own tales of woe.

idk333333 0

why should you care about that? Marriage is about spending the rest of your life with someone you love, not having a ring. Maybe in a while he will have the money to get you a ring again. but before that, be happy to be with the person you love.

pecacelovecheer 0

Well the good thing is your fiancé is sweet and caring

myhairynutsack 0

i disagree with #125, a ring is just a piece of jewelry. the only ones who say it's the symbol of love and commitment are jewelry companies. nothing can replace the true feeling.

The ring compliments the true feeling fucktard it doesn't replace it ___________________________ www.myspace.com/rapid99

Wow this FML is a major buzzkill. Whether you see it as him being embarrassed that he had to ask for the ring back or the fact that this could be a reflection as what marriage life could be like. I've always heard guys treat there girlfriends or spouses like they treat their mothers and girls tend to be like that with how they treat their dads. If this is true, then at least you know he'll do whatever he needs to do to make you have a secure and loving environment. If this is false and the mom sucks at life, then I'd get out while you still had an opportunity. If she really loves her son she wouldn't have purposely tried to kill such a beautiful moment, so just be happy that he wants to be with you for the rest of his life.

tab_ga1990 0

I understand his mother asking for help with money. I think she should of waited to ask though... Wait until they were face to face but if they lived far apart on a different phone conversation. not when she just found out that her son just got engaged. That just seems sorta selfish of her in my opinion