By broke4life - 28/10/2015 22:16

Today, my boyfriend called me to ask if I knew the serial number for my laptop. I had given him my $650 gaming laptop to sell in his electronics store because I didn't need it and could use the money. Apparently it was stolen at some point yesterday and his cameras were turned off. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 411
You deserved it 1 926

Same thing different taste

Top comments

His cameras being turned off sounds awful convenient... I do hope you get your laptop back.

I hope that you/his store have theft insurance because that's a pretty substantial loss!

Comments

Sorry OP, but do you know for sure it was 'stolen'.

Goblin182 26

Sorry your laptop was stolen at the same time his cameras were off. On the bright side, I have some beach property in Arizona I can let you have cheap.

And if you'll buy that I'll throw the golden gate in for free.

Tell him you go on a vacation and hide somewhere in your place. Then see if he breaks in and starts unplugging your TV.

noonenoeone 22

What would the cameras being on have mattered? Cops don't care if they have a burglar on video they wouldn't find the stolen merchandise anyways. The only real chance you have of getting it back is hoping someone is dumb enough to pawn it with the serial number still on/inside it. I had a full color HD video of a guy breaking into my apartment twice in a week and stealing a lot of cash. They never even tried to find him. That's pretty standard from what I hear.

The cops didn't even dust for prints when I showed them several items that the burglar had touched (a butter knife on the ground and a Diet Coke left on the stove). The burglar even stole some chocolate bacon I had in the fridge :(

noonenoeone 22

I think you could probably get carjacked at gunpoint and once they find the car they wouldn't even try to fingerprint it. TV and the movies lead the uninformed to believe that the police have WAY more resources at their disposal than they actually do. If it doesn't benefit the police force financially or get them media coverage they could give 2 ***** about citizens problems. It takes murder or a high profile victim to convince the authorities to spend money trying to catch them. I literally had a freeze frame of the person in my apartment where you could see his entire body head to toe clear as day. I also had 5 other friends that were with me that could corroborate my story. All it would have taken was releasing that photo to the press and asking if anyone could identify him, but even that was too much for the Hamilton County TN Police Department.

$650? Doesn't sound like a "gaming" laptop to me. Or a cheap-ass one. . .

Laptops specifically made for gaming are usually more than $650, yes. But if she had it for awhile it would be dated and have older technology and wouldn't be worth what she paid for it. $650 sounds about right for a gaming laptop that probably cost upwards of $1000 but is a few years old.

I was going to say... either laptops are much cheaper in America or I've got a different idea of what 'gaming laptop' means.

That's what I thought. They're upwards of $3000 in New Zealand.

650? Does it include the advanced potato graphics, with jam-cooling? Or is this a different model? Just kidding, OP. I hope you get your potato back.

A $650 gaming laptop?? Ya no, that's not a gaming laptop. You'd have hard time building a tower yourself that cheap with stellar specs, let alone buying a prefabbed laptop made for gaming.

Careful, snobs here will teach you what true gaming laptop should be like. Demand insurance money, he's got to have one.

I record serial number for things over 500$ god forbid I need to use them but it's a good thing to have on hand