By frustrated girlfriend - 29/12/2016 03:30 - United States - Raleigh

Today, my boyfriend and I spent all day preparing an amazing meal for my extended family, and then 3 hours before dinner his crazy mother forced him home because she felt "excluded". He's spent the past 3 days with her. There's no way for me to keep him and get rid of her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 247
You deserved it 454

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Red flags, red flags everywhere. It sounds like you need to bring up the issue to your boyfriend and hope he grows a pair. If not, it might be better to let him go before that kind of situation turns into something you commit your life to. Sorry, OP.

Bring it up to him, tell him honestly why it's bothering you and talk to him about possible ways to get the mom to back off. If he can't understand why this type of stuff upsets you it might be time to seriously wonder if the relationship is worth it. I've seen relationships like this before and unless they're willing to work on a solution with you, change won't happen on its own. That's my advice, but on a personal note, he should really put his foot down because damn, she's needy (the mom not op)

Comments

Bring it up to him, tell him honestly why it's bothering you and talk to him about possible ways to get the mom to back off. If he can't understand why this type of stuff upsets you it might be time to seriously wonder if the relationship is worth it. I've seen relationships like this before and unless they're willing to work on a solution with you, change won't happen on its own. That's my advice, but on a personal note, he should really put his foot down because damn, she's needy (the mom not op)

Seems like the (potential) mother-in-law missed her shots. She could be rabid. Don't let her bite you.

There are ways, but they're illegal or worse... frowned upon.

My bestfriend used to date a guy whose mother was like that, one day, they were supposed to have dinner at their friends' then go to a firework celebration. The mother-in-law guilt-triped my friend's ex to force him to invite her, she tagged along with them and was a real pain. I think she was jalous of my friend, she kept interrupting them, she was she very needy and often acted like a child. Using her phone during diner, giggling like a 12-year-old because her boyfriend was sending her texts, etc ...

xbaconator9000x 16

As someone with an extended family who I adore, and a crazy mother; Trust me. There absolutely is a way for you to keep him and not her.

maybe invite her over for dinner too? I know that would feel like caving in, and you do need to work on boundaries, but sometimes it's good to throw the crazies a bone

Never throw crazy a bone. Ever. They'll want more, just like that ******* mouse and his cookie.

Yeah, that's just rewarding the behavior and showing her she can get what she wants.

Goblin182 26

If his mother controls him this much maybe you should get rid of him too.

There is a saying, "You don't just marry the person, you also marry their family." If you are not comfortable with the kind of control his mother has, then you have two choices. Talk to him about it and see if he agrees but doesn't have the guts to face his mother, in which case you could help him. Or keep looking if you don't feel like you could live with that influence.