By TheHarvardian - 04/09/2016 05:34 - United States - Boonville

Today, my boss told me that our old manager didn't do my promotion paperwork, so everyone in the department is getting a chance to interview for a job I've been doing for a month. They also expect me to keep doing it at my normal pay rate until they hire someone. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 066
You deserved it 842

TheHarvardian tells us more.

Hey guys. I'm the OP. So for everyone saying that I should report this to HR, I would like to, but I can't report it at the local level, since our local HR rep was in the meeting with the manager that announced that he was reopening the interviews. I would imagine that there is someone that I can go to above them, but I am not 100% sure who it is and no one is being particularly forthcoming with information. For the people who think that we should all revolt, as far as I understand, my coworker does want us to go in together on a lawsuit, so that's kind of close.

Top comments

I suggest going to HR for this. Even if the paperwork was not there, there was an executive that made a decision for you to get promoted. I'm sure if HR can contact him and get this straightened out, and you should be able to keep that promotion. Second off, if you've won the promotion the first time, what's stopping you from securing it again, when everyone gets to interview? This would be a worst case scenario plan of action though. Good luck OP!

1. Grab other co-workers who think this is bullcrap and start a revolution. 2.??? 3. Profit!

Comments

That is complete BS, OP. I would recommend telling your new boss that will absolutely not continue this work without the appropriate pay increase and/or promotion, and bring HR into the mix. You are under 0 obligation to perform any work outside of your designated job description. FYL indeed, best of luck!

Ok, here's what you say; "ha. ha. hahaHAHAHA no. Bye."

Lizzy500 16

Visit HR and polish your resume. Even if this goes in your favor, I'd get the hell outta Dodge ASAP

Sounds like you work for walmart, OP. That sucks for sure. Hopefully you get your rightful promotion.

Hey guys. I'm the OP. So for everyone saying that I should report this to HR, I would like to, but I can't report it at the local level, since our local HR rep was in the meeting with the manager that announced that he was reopening the interviews. I would imagine that there is someone that I can go to above them, but I am not 100% sure who it is and no one is being particularly forthcoming with information. For the people who think that we should all revolt, as far as I understand, my coworker does want us to go in together on a lawsuit, so that's kind of close.

cheshireau 26

McDonald's do the same thing I found out recently

Start doing your research of who your corporate office is that should be a good start

DragonRain3390 4

Even if you can't find someone to talk to above the people that were in said meeting, you should still tell them that you won't do the job without getting paid for it. It's illegal on a federal level for them to expect that of you when it's not in your job description.

I read about this topic in a management book today, specifically about bosses that inherit employees who have expectations established by the former supervisor that aren't documented, like promotions and raises. Any proposed promotion that didn't get formally approved by HR remains at the decretion of the new supervisor. So your new boss can promote the person that they pick. My advice is for you to suck up to the new boss and show your value again.

Yeah except this isn't just "I am considering you for a promotion" this is "I gave you the promotion, you're doing the work and a paperwork glitch hit as I am on my way out of my job" the job is available only through a technicality and the new supervisor is expecting the OP to keep doing the job (or get fired seems to be implied) but not get any of the pay they should be getting or even be considered for the job on a permanent basis. Given previous situations like this what most likely will happen is that the manager will fill the position and then set the OP down and explain they are now redundant, overqualified, not likely to be happy going back to what they were doing and so buh bye.

I would stop doing the manager work asap. At least until you get a temp raise for the time you have already worked and going forwards.