By Macysdayparade8 - 09/12/2015 04:01 - United States - San Francisco

Today, my boss of six months asked me what country I'm from. I'm white and from the southern United States. I'm so quiet, he didn't think I spoke English. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 508
You deserved it 3 453

Macysdayparade8 tells us more.

Op here. I was just trying to say that there are no obvious signs that I'm not from Georgia/from another country, where most people speak English.

Top comments

Even if you are extremely shy/quiet, your boss should know what language you speak by now... It's not your fault they've paid absolutely no attention!

Just keep going with it and act like you don't speak English to get out of messy situations

Comments

I think your boss should introduce himself to all his employees regardless on if their quiet and talk to them now and again. That's not very professional.

I'm flesh colored. I speak sarcasm and I'm fluent in common sense

Wow, that's rare! Hardly anyone even recognizes common sense these days, never mind being fluent in it!

maybe your boss should take a bit more notice to their employees and have even a little bit of a personal connection. but 6 months & not knowing you speak English....that is sad

Surely he would have talked to you more to know that you speak English , how did you manage to get the job through not speaking?

If you have co-workers, I don't see why your boss wouldn't at some point figured out your primary language or even that you spoke english front them. If it's just you (more private type of job), then I REALLY question their intelligence for letting someone get hired without even knowing the basics.

How the hell can you be from the south and be quiet?

I understand... I'm also quiet and people don't understand a thing about me.

To be fair, there are white people all over the world, especially Europe... I don't automatically assume someone is from the US because they're white. My boyfriend is white and he's from Russia.

How did you get the job? Did he not interview you? He should know if you speak english